Defensive driving?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrahamC230K

MB Enthusiast
Car
Audi A3 & S4 quattro
New company regulations mean that everyone in my organisation has to take a "Defensive Driving" course.

The org. is big, so it may be a while until it's my turn, but I wondered if you guys could explain a little better what this might be about.

All I know is, it said a few hours classroom session followed by a drive with an "examiners commentry".

Seems to be methods of increased awareness of whats going on around you and decreased wear and tear of the vehicle apparently.

Extract from http://www.high-performance-course.co.uk/faq.htm#q13

As well as heavy traffic, today's driver often has to cope with unpredictable, irrational, offensive and sometimes dangerous driving behaviour. Road conditions that are hostile in a very real sense, with a higher risk of an accident.

To survive in such conditions involoves learning and practising a defensive driving strategy, sometimes known as planned driving. It involves expecting the unexpected and not being taken by surprise, by questioning the action of other road users.

Awareness, anticipation, responsibility, care and courtesy, it involves putting safety above all else. This means having a real concern not only for your own safety, and that of your passengers, but also for others, particularly the vulnerable.

With the Defensive Driving Course you can learn to show more patience and anticipation. This will help to reduce the number of incidents which are known to result in open hostility, abusive language, threats, or in extreme cases, even physical violence.

Lady drivers may feel particularly vulnerable to aggressive driving behaviour. The Defensive Driving Course will prevent an involvement, increasing powers of observation - by being remote and hanging back.

On the Defensive Driving Course you will learn to plan and anticipate far ahead to avoid unnecessary braking and drive smoothly and sympathetically. You will position to be able to see best and for essential safety margin. Yet you will be able to maintain all reasonable headway through traffic, with complete confidence, and utmost safety.

and www.ddtgroup.com

I quite agree - done the IAM course and defensive driving. I learnt something different each time.

If it's similar to the course I did when I had a company car the instructor was an ex traffic policeman, extremely knowledgable and very constructive about how to read the road, conditions and other road users activities.

The other main thing is to enjoy it!

R

Originally posted by Richard W

If it's similar to the course I did when I had a company car the instructor was an ex traffic policeman,
R

Dave, you aint been sacked have you??? Or, just moonlighting :p :p .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom