Diagnostics

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Marku

Car
Viano Ambiente 2.2CDI W639, S-Class 450SE W116
Read recently that this was a waste of money and increasingly used by dealers as another little earner instead of just getting on and doing the job. The advice was that its about time that the public stood up to them and refused it.

Used properly, the correct diagnostics can save a lot of time and money in many cases. Whether it's used properly or not is the real question to ask of them.

Well, the cars are so complex that there is almost always no way of working out what is wrong without using the manufacturer's approved diagnostic system as it gives you active faults and stuff that has occurred in the past. Once you have a report you need someone with some skill and experience to interpret the info into faults that matter and those that have occurred for some other reason (such as a low battery) and can be *safely* ignored (i.e wont give you a problem another day).

And, since we have a genuine Mercedes system I can tell you it is *very* expensive.

So the diagnostic charge is paying for the use of a very expensive machine and the skill and expertise (and time) of the person using it.

So, if you want to refuse the diagnostic and pay for the mechanic just to swop everything until the car works again, you are welcome to decide you don't want to pay for diagnosis !

Cheers

Richard

Mark. Your absolutely bang on. They are using it to make money. I went with an error code which was air bag squib1 defective. Was told have be read by them 100 notes then fix passenger seat!!! 800 notes. I said no its squib1. When it wasn't . Absolutely useless MB service. It cost me an hour checking connections and sorted. As far as I go find a local forum member and cross his palm with a donation I am sure they'll help out. So anyone near me by all means I'm available help out as I am sure are others.

Yes I think it was meant in general and not specifically MB dealers. To be fair they did offer me the option of running diagnostics but also said what they thought it was. I refused the diagnostic and they were right item replaced problem solved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom