Diesel Ban in Cities

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Yugguy said:
Diesel is the latest whipping boy.
So that's why the diesel owners are squealing! ;)

Politicians are looking at the growing list of reports that point the finger at pollution including diesel and wondering what will happen if they turn out to be true. Could they be chased by journalists and lawyers in the future asking awkward questions about why they did nothing when there was information in the public domain that the health of thousands of people was being affected?

I'm sure some of them want cleaner cities as well.

There would have to be a massive effort by the government to establish a charging infrastructure for electric cars. Next question how abundant is lithium and it's cost to mine.

There would have to be a massive effort by the government to establish a charging infrastructure for electric cars....

This the real con when it comes to pure EVs. Everyone knows that it will never take-off without a UK-wide charging infrastructure which at current no one is willing to pay for, and yet somehow the government keeps telling us that it's the future, ignoring the missing link.

So for now Teslas are the preserve of those wealthy enough to have a garage or drive with a private charging point, and a second diesel car for when they need to make long journeys.

But for those of us who live in flats and city centres, pure EV is nothing more than a faraway dream.

I am all in favour of HS2, yet I can't help wondering if the £40bn earmarked for the project won't be better spent on nuclear power stationd and a national charging infrastructure for EVs.

Last edited:
All diesels will be banned from London, except those being used for, by or on behalf of the local authorities.

As with everything, exceptions are created. For example, diesel for agricultural use is Duty exempt, even though they pollute the atmosphere just as much, if not more, than modern Euro 6 engines found in cars. I actually build diesel powered generators and lighting rigs that are not Euro X compliant because of their exemption from the rules.

Local authorities expect us to follow their rules, yet they won't enforce their rules on their own staff. How many bin lorries contravene the Highway Code? Probably all of them. They stop where they like. They use their Hazard lights continuously. They pull out into the flow of moving traffic as if they have priority (this also applies to buses).

All diesels will be banned from London, except those being used for, by or on behalf of the local authorities....

How odd.

You would have thought that the electric car revolution will start by government and local authorities being the first to ban fossil fuel vehicles among their fleets?

On a similar note... if am ever elected mayor, I would ease congestion by stipulating that no local authority fleet cars (or their contractors) should be driven on public roads between 8am and 9am - and this includes bin lorries.

I suppose they could run the buses and bin Lorry's on LPG..
The power stations are struggling to supply power now so how will they cope with charging a couple of million vehicle's as well?
I think EV is a bit of a pipe dream. The writings on the wall for diesel, who would have believed they would have banned smoking in pubs but they did!

I wonder if the anticipated hike in VED rates next year will factor diesel cars in. Its strange but my 3.0 Bi-Turbo diesel Audi has a lower tax band than my -on order- C43 3.0 AMG Estate which is petrol because it has less Nox emissions etc.. Strange but true!!

Its strange but my 3.0 Bi-Turbo diesel Audi has a lower tax band than my -on order- C43 3.0 AMG Estate which is petrol because it has less Nox emissions etc.. Strange but true!!

Nothing strange about it.

VED is based on CO2 emissions, and diesels usually emit lower CO2 than the more environmentally polluting petrol vehicles.

Nothing strange about it.

VED is based on CO2 emissions, and diesels usually emit lower CO2 than the more environmentally polluting petrol vehicles.

CO2 is emissions, not pollution. It is affects global warming but has no effect on air quality or health.

While reducing CO2 emissions is a good thing, we must also keep in mind the very real and very immediate issues caused by pollution.

.......and of course it's a VAG product so the CO2 figure will be infinitely configurable in software :rolleyes:

They'll have to put me in prison for a very long time & wrestle the keys off me for my car before I ever have a electric car.

Ill let someone else worry about the planet, I've got better things to do thanks.

The power stations are struggling to supply power now so how will they cope with charging a couple of million vehicle's as well?
I think EV is a bit of a pipe dream.

Most EV drivers seem to either charge their cars at night when electricity is abundant, or charge during the day using the power from their solar panels.

EV sales are tiny but they're increasing rapidly. Looks like they might slow down in the US if Trump has his way, but not in China or Northern Europe.

They'll have to put me in prison for a very long time & wrestle the keys off me for my car before I ever have a electric car.

Ill let someone else worry about the planet, I've got better things to do thanks.

Forget the planet, EVs are already better than fossil fuel driven vehicles for short urban journeys - cheaper, less wear and tear on the motor, better acceleration, quieter, cleaner. In a few years' time, they might be better for long journeys as well. Fossil fuel driven cars could be an increasingly expensive hobby for enthusiasts...

I like diesels but I'm open to a petrol or electric. This year I leased a car through my own limited company. I do about 28k miles a year and mostly 200 mile trips down the motorway. I looked at the options assuming hybrid petrol would be best but their range on electric is poor and then it's onto petrol. The price is also very high. Looked at petrol only but the co2 emissions are higher and so get stung on tax. So from money point of view I took a E220d with the new engine which is brilliant. Where is the governments logic saying diesel particle pollution is killing people but they tax you on co2 not pollution. If they want me to change fuel why don't they give me a tax incentive on petrol instead of diesel until better electric cars come out or I can afford a Tesla.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom