Diesels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Diesels are made in a more efficient way and I can practically guarantee that my Diesel engine is quicker than most of the cars around my area.
Yes on a serious thread thread it does cause offence keep your silly comments for your little Facebook friends
An interesting combination of comments. Claiming that your car is "quicker than most of the cars around my area" is a serious comment is it? Well my son lives not too far from you in the Valleys - why not take your car round to his place and see if it's faster than his old petrol Toyota Land Cruiser on the road leading up to his house? It would of course be a pointless exercise, other than demonstrating to you how speed is more to do with the suitability of the vehicle for the environment and the driver's skills than any differences between engine designs and fuels. Fortunately he does have a winch on his tractor so he'll be able to drag your car off one of the boulders that constitute his "road" leading up to his farmhouse! You'll need that guarantee you bragged about earlier. ;)

See how silly "my Diesel engine is quicker than most of the cars around my area" sounds now? Please remember that accusations of "silly comments" can all too easily bite you back. As for your silly comment about "your little Facebook friends", my son is 6'4" and one of my Facebook friends; perhaps you'd like to discuss that with him?

Finally don't try to act big and clever by demanding proof of supplied facts, then get upset when the proof is supplied. Especially when you aren't able to provide a solitary piece of evidence to back up your own outlandish claims.

2012 C350 Petrol 306 hp (225 kW) 2012 C350 CDI Diesel 265 hp (195 kW)
When I was at school, hp (horsepower) and kW (kilowatts) were units of POWER. How can you claim that diesels are more powerful than petrols when my example above clearly proves that the Mercedes petrol engine provides over 15% more power than its equivalent diesel version?

I have to agree - the two most comparable engines I have had were the 2746cc M110 in my various 280E/CE/TE/SE models , with an output of 185 bhp , all rather earlier than the C270CDI which is turbocharged as well as being 20+ years newer ( so you would think would benefit from advances in technology ) , yet only has an output of 170 bhp , despite having nearly the same displacement ( 2685cc ) - still , a good hike up from the 113 bhp or so its normally aspirated predecessor had as installed in the E250D .

If you are comparing like with like : normally aspirated Diesels against normally aspirated petrol engines ; or turbo Diesels against turbo or Kompressor petrol engines , the petrol engines will come out well ahead on power for comparable displacements .

knighterrant said:
my son is 6'4" and one of my Facebook friends; perhaps you'd like to discuss that with him? .

Is that a threat because if it is I'm sure that warrants a ban for threatening another member. Just to point out also that I am a fully trained Krav Maga student and a doorman, also just to add I have been a weightlifter for 8 years so yes I would be happy to explain to your son any comment I make on here.

Crikey

Thank you . Diesel fuel is more efficient than petrol fuel and provides more energy.

if you refer to the calorific value of energy contained in the fuel then , yes , Diesel has a calorific value of 46 MJ/kg , as opposed to 43 MJ/kg , not a huge difference in itself .

Diesels also have more torque which is why diesel cars or vans are used for towing.

Again , you have to compare like for like , my M117 petrol V8 had plenty of torque and would outperform most Diesels with alacrity . I have caravanned and towed large trailers for many years quite happily with my petrol cars .

When it comes to selecting a good towcar , kerbweight of the towing vehicle considered alongside the MTPLW of the trailer is much more important than engine power or torque : stability of the outfit is the most important factor . In years gone by we used to tow large and heavy caravans with cars having less than 100bhp and managed just fine .

Diesels are made in a more efficient way and I can practically guarantee that my Diesel engine is quicker than most of the cars around my area.

The methods of construction of a Diesel engine is no more or less efficient than a petrol one ( a similar amount of effort is expended to make either ) . There may well be a number of slower vehicles in your area .

Diesels also are more rugged engines than petrol ones with a lot of mercedes diesels clocking mileage of 200,000 or more.

Not true in the case of Mercedes-Benz : Mercedes petrol engines have always been constructed to the same high standard as their Diesel ones , hence high mileages are commonplace with Mercedes-Benz petrol engines also ; I myself have taken numerous petrol engines well beyond 200,000 miles and still running fine , my personal record was my 300TE-24 which did 380,000 on its first engine , then another 50,000 on its second ; a friend has 750,000 miles on his Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud , which is nothing unusual .

Petrols are inefficient and require quite a lot of maintenance although they are more quiet. Diesel engines are louder granted but they are better and I have owned both.

I've had to spend more repairing my C270CDI in the last 18 months than any of the petrol Mercedes-Benz cars I've owned over the last 38 years ( and there have been more than a few ) .

Diesel engines , with their higher compression ratios and greater internal stresses are more prone to tearing themselves to bits than relatively understressed petrol ones .

Is that a threat because if it is I'm sure that warrants a ban for threatening another member. Just to point out also that I am a fully trained Krav Maga student and a doorman, also just to add I have been a weightlifter for 8 years so yes I would be happy to explain to your son any comment I make on here.

discuss
dɪˈskʌs
verb
talk about (something) with a person or people.
To the brain dead, "discuss" may mean something other than talking. I haven't made any threats to any members. But because of your chest beating it sounds like you're threatening my son.

But we're terrified because you're "a fully trained Krav Maga student" ........... Oh no!
image.png

Thank you . Diesel fuel is more efficient than petrol fuel and provides more energy. Diesels also have more torque which is why diesel cars or vans are used for towing. Diesels are made in a more efficient way and I can practically guarantee that my Diesel engine is quicker than most of the cars around my area. Diesels also are more rugged engines than petrol ones with a lot of mercedes diesels clocking mileage of 200,000 or more. Petrols are inefficient and require quite a lot of maintenance although they are more quiet. Diesel engines are louder granted but they are better and I have owned both.

Diesels nowadays are very torquey...but that was with the introduction of the turbo...compare a 300d and 300td.

That is crazy, a diesel has a great sound IMO !! If you are coming from a petrol then you will be shocked at the noise but diesels are much more powerful than petrols ...!!!

Any diesel, versus any petrol...tell that to the guys in C63s when you are talkinh C220cdis.

knighterrant said:
To the brain dead, "discuss" may mean something other than talking. I haven't made any threats to any members. But because of your chest beating it sounds like you're threatening my son. But we're terrified because you're "a fully trained Krav Maga student" ........... Oh no!

Np19 4ah put it in sat nav. If not good day to you

2012 C350 Petrol 306 hp (225 kW) 2012 C350 CDI Diesel 265 hp (195 kW)
When I was at school, hp (horsepower) and kW (kilowatts) were units of POWER. How can you claim that diesels are more powerful than petrols when my example above clearly proves that the Mercedes petrol engine provides over 15% more power than its equivalent diesel version?

Although correct...the acceleration figures bely this fact. Compare the figures, using Merceds Ireland, cos we don't get the model range they do:

Mercedes-Benz Ireland - Technical data - Models

The petrol has more "power"...but is slower.

............ Just to point out also that I am a fully trained Krav Maga student and a doorman...........

He's a doorman ; quite a few of us are chairmen :)

Last edited:
Although correct...the acceleration figures bely this fact. Compare the figures, using Merceds Ireland, cos we don't get the model range they do:

Mercedes-Benz Ireland - Technical data - Models

The petrol has more "power"...but is slower.

Depends which specific model you choose to compare. The E350 BlueTEC (diesel) shows as 0.3 sec slower than the E350 (petrol) to 100 kph. But of course you can't really compare anything because the 350s are different engine sizes and the diesels have bi-turbos.

Of course we all know that there is no true comparison of performance. It's all down to personal preferences depending on taste, usage and budget.

Yes, but, the petrol quoted (no matter the capacity) is more powerful...but slower. So, torque is at least as important as bhp (or Kw) when it comes to performance.

Have to laugh at a Diesel v Petrol thread.

Might as well start a Football v Rugby thread.

Or Steroids v Stairlifts.

I find it difficult to understand how members can get so verbally agressive over differing opinions. Yes there is some fact in the thread but lets try and be a little more tolerant. Clearly some people take offence if someone has a different opinion or preferences. People can drive what they like but dont tell others theyre uninformed to prefer something different. My opinion of course.

geraldrobins said:
I find it difficult to understand how members can get so verbally agressive over differing opinions. Yes there is some fact in the thread but lets try and be a little more tolerant. Clearly some people take offence if someone has a different opinion or preferences. People can drive what they like but dont tell others theyre uninformed to prefer something different. My opinion of course.

I agree

It's the safety of the internet. I doubt if any of this would be said in this manner in real life.... :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom