Diesels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Have to laugh at a Diesel v Petrol thread.

Might as well start a Football v Rugby thread.

Or Steroids v Stairlifts.

Or steam vs diesel locomotives .

Steamies often have more power and torque ( with max torque from zero revs )

Why does that house have bricked up downstairs windows?

The ground floor is garages accessed from the rear of the building...very unusual...but I like his Ka outside. I think the developer describes these as coach houses.

Last edited:
Well I have resolved this argument. I have a petrol and a diesel. Local journeys - the petrol. Longer (m-way) journeys the petrol.

Fancy a drive and a bit more of a thought process, plus 7500rpm I take the petrol and feeling lazier I take the diesel.

I like driving them both.

Why does that house have bricked up downstairs windows?

Lol I had to move out just in case lol

The ground floor is garages accessed from the rear of the building...very unusual...but I like his Ka outside. I think the developer describes these as coach houses.

Seeing where its built, a Quay might be more appropriate than a garage on the flood marshes there.

:)

P v D

Diesel for me but no surprise there as I rebuild them for a living.

My new diesel Volvo XC60 (brand new Volvo twin turbo 2 litre 4 - 180bhp and 400NM torque, the latter on full tap from 1750 to 4500) with new 8 speed auto is more refined than any car I can recall driving, and I've driven a few. At a properly naughty speed it was turning over at 2100 revs. Made my sister's BMW Z4 with 2 litre petrol and 8 speed auto seem like a bag of nails.

Prior to driving this, I'd have said petrol for refinement any day. Now I'm not so sure, and this a 4 pot too. Extraordinary engine and gearbox.

Those new Volvo diesel engines are getting some pretty great reviews. It seems like Volvo have upped the game in terms of diesel efficiency.

I've got a CLK 500 which sits in the Garage because my C250D AMG Estate in the real World is just as fast and does twice as many to the Gallon. - Both Autos
Which possibly explains why diesels have higher residual Values and no one wants to buy my V8 Gas Guzzler

About 10 Years ago I had a new BMW 330 M Sport Tourer having had a huge succession of tasty Petrol Cars including Mercs and an M3
That Car changed me - sounded fantastic too

I had a 330D a year after it first came out. 50-75 was faster in top than a 911 turbo. It didn't just redefine performance diesel cars, it seemed to breach the laws of time and space. I did London to Cornwall fully laden down the A303 in a time I had never done before nor after.

As you say it sounded great too.

I miss the sybaritic comforts of my S500.

I don't miss the thirst as my E220 Cdi returns at least twice the economy and is very nearly as quick in the real world.

I'll put my hat in the ring and suggest my next car could very well be a S350 Cdi.

At one time not very long ago , I had a mkv R32,a v6 clk petrol and a 330i on the driveway. Now I have three 6 cylinder diesels (all 320 Cdi's ) I only miss the noise of the petrols. These 320 Cdi's have serious punch and when remapped are astonishly quick and I get 48.8 mpg cruising to Manchester at approx 80/85. No real downsides for me.

Ahem:- OP posted
Are diesels suitable for short local journeys?
No despite many other advantages, as presently configured , with current diesel particulate filter technology, they are not really suited to short local journeys.

Move along now, excitements over, nothing more to see here.;);)

Hi, thanks for all the comments/disagreements, I have decided to buy a CLK 320 petrol engine because it seems diesels are not good for short journeys. I was looking at the CLK 350 but the M272 engine seems to have problems with the balance shaft's, so I thought I would stick with the 320 as it has the M112 which I have several of these engine powered cars in the past.
Many Thanks.
Terry.

I've got a CLK 500 which sits in the Garage because my C250D AMG Estate in the real World is just as fast and does twice as many to the Gallon. - Both Autos
Which possibly explains why diesels have higher residual Values and no one wants to buy my V8 Gas Guzzler

I miss the sybaritic comforts of my S500.

I don't miss the thirst as my E220 Cdi returns at least twice the economy and is very nearly as quick in the real world.

I'll put my hat in the ring and suggest my next car could very well be a S350 Cdi.

A newly designed, force inducted diesel vs. some tired, N/A petrol V8 from the 90's?

Fair enough.

I put a 10 y.o. super- or turbocharged AMG petrol against both y'all.

Game over.

No despite many other advantages, as presently configured , with current diesel particulate filter technology, they are not really suited to short local journeys.

Move along now, excitements over, nothing more to see here.;);)

Well here in Burton on Trent the Buses and Taxis seem to manage just fine LOL

I stumbled on this old Clarkson video on Diesels.

Some of his points are still valid today. :D

[YOUTUBE]sEZEEbAqgfc[/YOUTUBE]

Agreed definitely not. It took 4,500 miles to cause enough damage to our diesel Fiat 500 for it to need the entire top half of the engine replaced. When we sold it back the supplying dealer 2000 miles later, the top of the engine was on its way out for a second time. We were using it exclusively for short journeys of less than 1.5 miles.

Luckily, Fiat recognised that this was their problem and bought the car back off us at a premium.

I won't be buying another diesel as long as DPFs are fitted (unless they work their way around the problem).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom