difference between remapping and chipping

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

goldsax

i have a 2006 cls 320 cdi that i want to upgrade a little.what is the diffference between chipping/plug in box and remapping .. are the brabus engine upgrades a remap or plug in device, i have heard that kleeman plug in boxes are as good and much cheaper, any advice please...

Remapping involves plugging a laptop into the engine management system and tuning it. Chipping means plugging a chip in.

Chipping refers to the older practice of physical replacing the chip in the ECU.

Re-mapping refers to the more modern practice of re-programming the chip in the ECU with a different map, which defines parameters with which the engine should operate in different conditions.

The plug-in devices piggy-back on the existing ECU, altering signals.

Kleemann boxes were on special a while back - £399 plus fitting.

thanks for the reply....any advantages / disadvantages to either method or either remap/chipping... brabus costs £1350, kleeman cost about £400 as mentioned . both give similer increases in bhp/torque.....both a trusted names...any guidence?

I would prefer Brabus, but to be fair Kleemann products have a good reputation too (if the UK agent replies to your email or picks up the phone).

Justifying the extra for the Brabus may be difficult, unless you just want Brabus, or have a warranty (MB honour the warranty even with a Brabus box fitted, limited to 60k miles though).

I would consider a quality remap a better solution than a non-Brabus box though, with better control of fuelling, etc. www.dmsautomotive.com have a good reputation.

Why pay that much - you can buy a plug-in box off ebay for around £100

Remap is by far the safest & trusted way to go, most companies who remap do it fairly the same way..a program on a laptop, or the best way connecting a Optican Flasher between the OBD and a laptop.

a couple of points raised....
the usual story of 'if brabus is £1300+ it must be better then something costing a lot less' philosophy.....may be a double bluff!!!
the car has 1 year warranty remaining...
dont know the costings....but is there more then a hint that a quility remap is a more thorough option...
ebay £100ish boxes......any ideas/options/experiences?

Remap is by far the safest & trusted way to go, most companies who remap do it fairly the same way..a program on a laptop, or the best way connecting a Optican Flasher between the OBD and a laptop.

as you have a 320 cdi....is it chipped as mentioned or remapped....have you had a noticable difference....

If you're risk averse, then your warranty might make the Brabus option preferable.

as you have a 320 cdi....is it chipped as mentioned or remapped....have you had a noticeable difference....
Mine is remapped by myself;) and the grunt it has is addictive, if driving as normal (speed limits) you will see 3-4mpg better, if you get addicted like i have you will lose that, where are you based?

You have to have 30 posts before you can send/receive PM's

north leicestershire....would be good to talk and see what you think we can do....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom