Different wheel sizes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JohnJ

Car
R231 SL 350
Hello to all - Newbie here, I did an intro in new members a couple of weeks ago. I now have the W203 - done just over 1000 miles in first week and pretty pleased with it.

I wonder if someone might be kind enough to educate a little re the wheels as they are slightly different front and rear - and from your sticky on this are -

16x7 31 205/55R16 16x8 32 225/50R16

So am I correct in assuming a slight width difference as well as tyre size (And offset - whatever that is) - so -

What are the advantages of this ? is there a full size spare I can carry (by losing the tray) which could work on either axle ?

I absolutely dislike spacesaver and/or inflation kit - am an old fart and like a proper spare.

Or - is the answer to have 5 new wheels - and if so are any mods needed, and what sizes/tyre combinations might be optimum.

I suspect I like the comfort of the 16"- had 18" and 19" on other cars which were great on billiard tables and not much else, but then wheels have never really been my thing - but this differing size and subsequent spare issue has aroused my curiosity and interest.

Thank you for any help. John

Hi john, staggered wheels are just for aesthetics, or stance on your car; a nod to large rear wheels for 'putting the power down' on a high performance model.

The storage saver is really the best option when you have staggers, as it's only for getting you to the tyre fitter.

You could look at 5 identical alloys, 225s on 8j would look quite chunky at the front and you'd have to check clearances. Swap one of your existing rears to the front. As you said, r16 is much more comfortable.

Thank you for that - so if I went 16 x 8 all round what clearance would I need to check on the front - the 'mudguard' - outer wheel arch in wing ? that wheel did not protrude ? as I say this stuff was just a black art to me apart from thinking how naff the gold ones look on Subaru !
John

You would need to check wheel offsets to, to much poke illegal, too little, may foul caliper or may just look odd.

Many thanks for the help and pointers, gives me ideas how to go.
John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom