Digital camera servicing.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Skateboard
At what level would someone start "servicing" digital cameras and what would this entail and cost?

I presume a service includes adjustments and cleaning?

If it is a Canon, do NOT send it to the official dealer in Scotland! Sent mine for warranty recall replacement of the screen which they then claimed was not covered (despite being identical to the details on the Canon website) and I ended up telling them to send me back the memory card and keep the effing thing.

Servicing cameras is perhaps a thing of the past methinks.

I'd think in today's "disposable" society, unless you rely on a camera for your living you're unlikely to get it serviced - cheaper to bin it and get another. With the pace of technology as well, it's not that hard to justify (to my man maths, at least ;)). That said, I've probably got 8 or 9 cameras kicking around the place and problems are few and far between - although my Mrs. did manage to get sand in a Canon Ixus 850 a few years back (taking pictures on the beach whilst it was blowing a gale, duh). That got replaced by a 980, under the bin and replace policy.

Oh, and I broke the battery catch on a Leica X1 recently, which they fixed free of charge despite the fact that it was ~8 years old and I was the second owner. Excellent service, but you get what you pay for. I doubt Vivitar are so generous..

Cheers,

Gaz

I think pro SLRs would probably get serviced/cleaned/checked. But for consumer cameras it is rarely worth it as their value is going to be less than the cost of labour involved.

I had the imaging sensor die on a top end compact (Canon G9) after five and a half years. Not worth fixing - sad, but true.

Camera servicing still takes place.., mostly for higher end SLRs and Mirrorless, and pro lenses.

I've had several Canon 1D series cameras serviced and a couple of high end pump action lenses too, mostly for dust removal, although occasionally in the case of a 1D MkIII press/sports camera, for a sticking shutter - screen grab of confirmation of receipt below.

The above was a few years ago, so posting the current price list too, showing that they do quote for lower end repairs and servicing (as well as pro gear) - so presumably lower end servicing is still an active part of their business.

CANON UK SERVICE CENTRE PRICE GUIDE

I should have added that I tend to get my cameras and lenses serviced before selling them - the £80+ service cost is reasonable given the resale price of Canon pro gear (I'm not a pro photographer!) and it also tends to give the buyer piece of mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom