Digital Photo frames

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Satch

MB Enthusiast
Car
S211 E320Cdi Avantgarde Estate & Toyota Land Cruiser
Mrs S fancies one of these as an alternative to huge nonsense associated with getting the fossils (aka her parents) to sit in front of a computer to view piccies or gettting everything printed.

Any suggestions in terms of size, resolution, brand ,etc? There seem to be quite a few about now.

I use the camera connected to my TV for the fossils, but happen to also be keeping an eye out for a digital frame too.

Looking forward to the recommendations. I will be using mine more like a tradiational photo frame, ie on a shelf or something not for intense viewing, but figure a remote control to be a must as would be the device resizing pictures if required depending on aspect.

Last edited:
The other option is to use software that turns your photos into a picture show and the show is copied to CD or DVD. Then you put the CD or DVD into the DVD player and play them on the screen. You can create different photo sets and put icons on the screen to select which show you want to see. A bit like a DVD menu for a film.

I saw a few in JL the other day. Can't recall the prices, but don't recall them being ott. Neither can recall the makes, but I was quite impressed with the general build and display qualities....might even get one !!

I bought Mrs Rory the 7" modern one about 6mths ago. It was £130 (£100 now) from Amazon. Having a built in battery so it can be handed around is quite handy. It's a bit of a faff uploading picures to it - a wirelessly connected one would be handy. You can also put pictures on a memory card and plug that in. We set its internal timer so it comes on in the evening and scrolls thorugh its pictures. Many people don't realise the pictures are changing at first, and are quite stunned when they realise!

We're not big photography people, and I'd rather not spend entire evening editing pictures (which was happening when they were printed out) but one thing to be aware of is that resolution on the 7" screen is (I think) 720x480. The original image has to be modified to fit - the Philips software does that with a 720x480 window that you move around the image. So if your original image was (say) 1600x1200, then you lose a lot of the original picture - for instance on a typical picture of 2 people, you end up with not much more than their face. You could reduce the resolution of the whole original picture, but then the people would look tiny in the frame.

I have a couple of these.

1) Philips - excellent documentation, reasonable software, nice looking, good features, etc.

2) iMate Moment - nowhere near as well packaged as the Philips, however it has wireless networking built in, and can pull down photos from online albums, etc. via your home wireless gateway.

Mrs S fancies one of these as an alternative to huge nonsense associated with getting the fossils (aka her parents) to sit in front of a computer to view piccies or gettting everything printed.

Any suggestions in terms of size, resolution, brand ,etc? There seem to be quite a few about now.

Some TV's now accept media cards. Hardly seems worth the effort given the cost of TV's with DVD players. I know that if you skip all of the format rules in making DVD movies it will just autoplay.

Photo Frame..

Firstly I would'nt be concerned with resolution, most older peoples lamps are on the way out and from the otherside of the room they all look good. Secondly, try to find one with a usb slot and just stick a flash drive in it with pics on. You can change the pics when you want then without too much hassle, just drag n drop em on, you can do this on any pc. Aldi were selling such a beast not long ago for £60 :)

I have no idea if this is a good price or indifferent but lots of people buy from this location.

Digital Photo Frame

Regards
John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom