Digital picture frames

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

carnut

Car
SL400 & audi A1
Im looking for a birthday present for my partner and Im thinking of a Digital Picture Frame as shes just become a granny!

Anyone have any knowledge of these products and what to look out for ( pros and cons?):confused:

Battery powered ones are much more versatile than mains only.

Have they caught on? I haven't seen anyone actually have one. Can't work out if they're brilliant or naff?! :confused:

Battery powered ones are much more versatile than mains only.

I'd agree with that purely from the point of having cables running all over the place, much tidier

From someone who doesn't have one i'd say the pros would be its easy to change the picture on it and it saves printing out digital photos, only con I can think of is that eventually it'll stop working unlike a normal picture but that shouldn't be any time soon.

And like everyone else has said get a battery one.

they are fantastic,
IF
your partner can operate the computer
and program needed to drag and drop
the photo onto a card

not hard but ey some people get frustrated by technology

I have a new Sony DPF-V700 if you want one.

Not sure why you need a battery powered one - they don't last - and normally just sit in the same place regardless :confused:.

the problem with them is that lots of them are fairly low resolution so your lovely holiday photos come out a bit distorted.

Also, a LOT of them come with tacky plastic frames which might look fine in an office or kids bedroom, but don't suit the decor of your living room. I had to search quite a bit to find a *nice* looking one with a wooden frame.

Have they caught on? I haven't seen anyone actually have one. Can't work out if they're brilliant or naff?! :confused:

BEST gadget I have bought in along time. I have a Kodak one, good quality high resolution 8" wide screen, not too big not too small. Mine is mains powered, can't think batteries would last long, but didn't investigate. Native is 16:9 pics (which I lukcilly take a lot of) but auto resizes very well.

I really love it have 200+ images on it and growing and wouldn't be without it, can't recommend highly enough. I didn't worry about internal memory as memory is cheap enough to slap an old 1GB SD card in there full time.

For reference/comparison mine is 800x480 with a contrast ratio of 300:1.

Last edited:
Dont buy a cheap - it really is you get what you pay for!

I don't have one but the those I've seen in John Lewis look pretty good.

I didn't comment in the first place because I'm not sure there's much to say about them.

We've had a Philips one for a couple of years - ours has a built in battery, (although I don't think Philips still do them like that) which is useful if you want to hand it round for old people to look at at family gatherings etc and both wife and daughter have taken it to work to show pictures.

Normally it sits on top of the telly with the wire running down the back so you can't see it (the wire that is!). It has a built in timer which we have set to come on at 5PM and off at 10.30PM.

Putting photo's on it is a bit a faff - the resolution is only (I think) 720x540 but the Philips software gives you a little window which you position over the original image so you can select the part of the image you want to diplay. Imagine a normal full length picture of a couple standing together taken at say 1600x1200 - pretty well all you'd be able to get on the frame is head and shoulders. You can change the picture resolution but then the couple end up looking tiny.

As someone else mentioned, some of them look pretty naff - I found that limited the choice quite a bit.

I bought it as a birthday present for wifey and she was very pleased with it. Screen quality is good and it's bright (but needs to be on highest brightness level, any thing else is too dark).

What I would like to do is get one of the ones that links directly to the internet so we could load pictures to it from anywhere in the world! That could be quite surprising for the kids when we're off travelling!

Last edited:
As above, would recommend Kodak- good combination of quality & value, or even better; Philips- although not such good value.

There are lots of cheap ones around which will not have such good resolution or colour!

I just bought one of these from Tesco , £40, and a bargain - just put the memory card in and it starts the slideshow, good resolution and remote control as well.

The only downside is it doesn't do movies, but at that price good value.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom