Dilemma - E320 v CLS 500 v nothing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Squidward

Car
E250 CDi Estate
I don't need this car, hence the nothing choice.

My 2013 E250 Estate has gone. I've got an A3 TDi 170 which I dislike despite it being brilliant on fuel and fairly quick. I also have an old Saab circa 2002 which I use for winter duties. Despite this I'm feeling the need for a bigger car with a larger displacement.

I change my mind almost constantly and usually buy whatever is flavour of the moment at the time I'm looking.

Anyway, there's an E320CDi fairly close to me which looks nice. Love the look of these cars, and this would be the sensible side of buying an unnecessary car.

I've also considered stuff like Legacy 3.0R Spec B, A8's, S8's, E55's and CL500's, though the CLS looks to be a better buy. Not sure if an E55 would be too fast. There's a CLS500 in the classifieds now which looks very nice though I've not got as far as contacting the owner (fair distance from me).

Would you do nothing, get something vaguely sensible like the E320, or go for something with a V8 like the CLS500?

I'd buy the CLS500, but that has absolutely no bearing on your decision whatsoever as we're different people. :dk::thumb:

If I was even considering a 5.0ltr V8 CLS, then the 55AMG would be the one I'd be looking at. Hardly any difference in running costs, but a beast when you want it to be.

Check out the black one being advertised on the forum now.

I'd have loved a legacy spec b estate, except I don't have a fuel tanker to follow me around.

Lovely cars but by all accounts they drink petrol.

The early 500 isn't generally considered a great choice as it doesn't offer much more than the 350 other than it's a V8 with equivalent thirst. The later ones with a ton more power and labelled 550 overseas can be a great buy as should be silly cheap but you have to accept the limited market when you want shot again.

The early 500 isn't generally considered a great choice as it doesn't offer much more than the 350 other than it's a V8 with equivalent thirst. The later ones with a ton more power and labelled 550 overseas can be a great buy as should be silly cheap but you have to accept the limited market when you want shot again.

It's a 550 I've got my eye on. 388BHP I believe. :thumb:

If I was even considering a 5.0ltr V8 CLS, then the 55AMG would be the one I'd be looking at. Hardly any difference in running costs, but a beast when you want it to be.

Check out the black one being advertised on the forum now.

What a lovely dilemma to have and quite a mix of cars. With this in mind and the fact that the V8 appears to be tugging at your heart strings then I'd go for either the CLS500 or as per AMGeed suggests, check the CLS55 AMG in the classifieds. It's a lovely example that's not been mechanically modified, so fairly quiet and sedate for normal driving, but a real growl when putting your foot down. Not to forget one of the best looking Mercedes on the road.

Jules

Just re-read the advert for the CLS500 which also looks stunning and see the price has been dropped to £8k! Now that makes for quite a nice dilemma for you to have.....

Good luck
Jules

I have an E320 CDI as my daily car and a CLS63 for, well not daily duties.

If this car is not for daily use then it'd be the CLS all day long.

I love my E because it's a fantastic all round car. Efficient, pleasingly quick, comfy and well equipped. The CLS looks fantastic (all models of it do!) and it ticks all of the same boxes (except efficient) but it shifts and if makes me smile.

There is also a very nice looking E55 in the classifieds. I had discounted it due to the distance (Herts) though it has since gone on Ebay and it states the car can be seen in Herts or Hinckley which happens to be where I live. Having said that it is modified - don't want the hassle with the insurance :(

Last edited:
It may be modified but it's another cracking example and from an insurance perspective may not add as much as you might think.

Jules

..... check the CLS55 AMG in the classifieds. It's a lovely example that's not been mechanically modified, so fairly quiet and sedate for normal driving, but a real growl when putting your foot down. Not to forget one of the best looking Mercedes on the road.

Jules

Really like the sound of that - don't want the car to be urging me to floor it constantly - speak softly and carry a big stick and all that :D

I've used the "send email to" utility to contact the CLS55 owner. Hopefully that actually works as I can't respond to the classifieds or send a normal PM due to my lack of posts..

Make sure you drive the CLS

I loved the look of the CLS when it came out.

And then I sat in one and drove it.

Now, they're lovely cars, and no disrespect - they have lots of fans.

But I found that low slung, enclosed seating position a bit (cough) coffin-like and it just didn't work for me. My tall student kids didn't like sitting in the back, and the inability to carry a (rare) 5th passenger was a constraint.

So I ended up with an SL500 AND an E500.

No disrespect to the car, or its owners - I'm just saying make sure you're not judging the car on the exterior and the spec, and that you're comfortable with the compromises on interior space and position.

Really like the sound of that - don't want the car to be urging me to floor it constantly - speak softly and carry a big stick and all that :D

I've used the "send email to" utility to contact the CLS55 owner. Hopefully that actually works as I can't respond to the classifieds or send a normal PM due to my lack of posts..

It's definitely worth a look. I'll pm the owner for you.

Jules

I loved the look of the CLS when it came out.

And then I sat in one and drove it.

Now, they're lovely cars, and no disrespect - they have lots of fans.

But I found that low slung, enclosed seating position a bit (cough) coffin-like and it just didn't work for me. My tall student kids didn't like sitting in the back, and the inability to carry a (rare) 5th passenger was a constraint.

So I ended up with an SL500 AND an E500.

No disrespect to the car, or its owners - I'm just saying make sure you're not judging the car on the exterior and the spec, and that you're comfortable with the compromises on interior space and position.

To be honest I prefer the look of the E-Class to the CLS. The E55's that are about seem to be modified which is a turn off for me. I could do with seeing a CLS locally first to see if I could live with the seating position etc.

Seating position in both E and CLS are very similar, if anything the CLS feels a touch more "cosy" as opposed to the E, but both dependent upon the individual.

Jules

Anyone know what the cls 500 in the classifieds went for? I'm buying one within the week and be interesting to know - prices have definitely tumbled in the last 2 month's as cars not shifting off forecourts so have a few to view/chose from

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom