Dimmers with LED bulbs - all rubbish?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mark44

Car
C63 Estate Edition 507
I'd like to change the dimmer switches in my home and would appreciate some recommendations.

Prior to introduction to 'warm' colour temperature LED bulbs, my wife and I had ruled out the undesirable hard + 'cold' light given off by early LED bulbs, but now if you choose selectively you would be hard pressed to tell the difference.

Despite this, I'm still mostly using 'regular' light bulbs through the house, as the majority of our light switches are rotary resistance dimmers and they don't seem to play nice with LED dim-able bulbs. Basically the dimming action jumps around in brightness and is very jerky/'steppy' as opposed to the smooth action you get with traditional incandescent bulbs.

It's actually proving to be hard to find subjective opinions of LED dimmers and the ones I've seen (e.g. IKEA) seem to suffer the same problem. Maybe its not a problem for many - but I'd like to know if there is a more sympathetic low-energy equivalent that isnt going to cost crazy money.

Thanks

As Bob states, you need new dimmers which are compatible with LED lights/lamps.

Dimming LEDs is an ongoing nightmare, so many different variants and builds of lamp, my first approach is to fit the V Pro dimmer module, it's been quite successful for me, but not 100% in all cases, but its the one I go to first. Best of luck with the fix. R

Same here, i bought some LED Dimmable switches with Dimmable LED Lights. They start off OK ,but after awhile they start to micro-flicker, very annoying .

I have bought led’s from various sources based on price, cheap ones are a waste of time and money. I even bought ones direct from China because of price, disaster! U/s after a ridiculously low hours, nowhere near the predicted TBF.

Recommend buying good quality, Philips for example and taking the price on the chin.

I have now replaced the cheap LEDs with quality ones and no problems on flickering or breaking down.

Advice above re dimmers seems good too:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom