Disabling alarm on my E-Class W212 for the Ferry

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slapdash

Car
Mercedes E220
I'm shortly taking my E220 W212 across the channel on a ferry. They usually ask you to disable the alarm and any internal motion/tow away sensors. I seem to recall years ago there was a button to do this for my W210, possibly also for my W211, but after a cursory look at my current set of buttons and the online manual, I can't find any instructions on how to do this.

Is it just a case of simply locking doors internally and using the mechanical key on the drivers door rather than a smart key to lock the door, or is there a button or menu option to do this for you.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Both towaway and internal sensor cancel buttons are above your head along with all the various light switches. Just lock the thing manually if you're bothered but realistically no one is going to go near it on a car deck. These decks are all covered by CCTV nowadays.

Isn't the query about not setting the alarm to prevent the motion of the ship setting it off?

If so, there may be 2 buttons among the interior lights in the rooflining in front of the RVM. Alternatively, under the radio or at the bottom of the driver's door pillar.

Your manual should make it clear which buttons you have.

Both towaway and internal sensor cancel buttons are above your head along with all the various light switches. Just lock the thing manually if you're bothered but realistically no one is going to go near it on a car deck. These decks are all covered by CCTV nowadays.

Thanks for that Druk. When I said the "online manual" I meant the downloadable and searchable pdf file that you can get from MBUSA, https://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/service_and_parts/maintenance_manuals but I now realise the US overhead control panel buttons have different functions from those on UK cars, my mistake. As you say, the hard copy manual does have the information about deactivating internal motion and tow away sensors, but there is no info about deactivating the alarm itself, so I guess the manual key is the solution to that.

As you say, the hard copy manual does have the information about deactivating internal motion and tow away sensors, but there is no info about deactivating the alarm itself, so I guess the manual key is the solution to that.
On the ferry you only really need to disable the tow away sensor, so you can do that and lock the car as normal with the fob.

Thanks for that Druk. When I said the "online manual" I meant the downloadable and searchable pdf file that you can get from MBUSA, https://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/service_and_parts/maintenance_manuals but I now realise the US overhead control panel buttons have different functions from those on UK cars, my mistake. As you say, the hard copy manual does have the information about deactivating internal motion and tow away sensors, but there is no info about deactivating the alarm itself, so I guess the manual key is the solution to that.

Slapdash by name and...

Think about it. What does the tow away switch do? Got it?

I usually go to France 2 to 3 times a year and have never disabled the alarm neither have my friends and cannot remember being asked to do so.
But I can see the logic now you have brought the subject up but I will probably carry on as I usually do and not disable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom