Do all MBs suffer from rust eventually?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 65149

The dreaded R word appears in almost every thread, so this morning whilst washing my car I had a few thoughts:

1) Have there been any changes to production techniques and materials in recent years to give us hope that the future may be a bit brighter?

2) Is the degree of rust a factor of how the car is treated from new? Does it make a difference whether the car is kept garaged overnight or left out in the elements?

3) Wheel arches appear to suffer the most, presumably because of the inadequate design and fitting of the liners. Does regularly (weekly) cleaning inside the arch lips make a noticeable difference?

4) Is it worth getting the underside Waxoyled from new?

5) Are some models worse than others?

It'd be interesting to hear members' own experiences. The most meaningful results would be from those who've had their cars from new because then they can be certain of how the car has been cared for over its entire life.

My paint body shop has seen Mercedes with rust as late as a '10' plate.

They have definately improved over the past twenty years, but it is quite frankly hilarious that they are struggling with oxidisation after the late nineties galvanisation saga.

The commercials seem to be the worse, I know of a 61 plate Sprinter that has been back to Mercedes for 'paint correction'...

Having said all that, I've owned ten Mercedes cars and rust has barely raised its head. Except this W202 C36 AMG that I've just bought, that is...

The new SL is predominately made from aluminium. I guess that's one solution.

I think the 1960s models ( Fintails etc ) were the worst for rust ; things got a little better in the 70s with the likes of the W123 , and better yet in the 1980s with the W201 , W124 and W126 . After that the W210 and its siblings took rust problems to a new low .

More recent models seem a little better , but they are still too young to tell .

I saw a very rusty W220 the other day .

This is my understanding:

The worst recent period was from 1995-2005. This coincided with the introduction of regulations that forced manufacturers to move to water-based paint from solvent(?)-based paint. This exposed existing Mercedes weaknesses due to the steel they used, the way it was shaped and their rust-proofing practices. The steel didn't have enough nickel, many panels had sharp edges (providing a place for the rust to get started) and rust-proofing tended to be in the wrong places (for instance at the top of the wing rather than near the arch). I don't know anything about the contribution of wheel arch liners.

Since 2005 all Mercedeses (correct plural?) have been galvanised. Which sounds great but my understanding is that Mercedes have never told anyone where the galvanising is. So, maybe not so good.

I have heard arguments both ways about whether it is best to keep your inside or out. I understand as well as hosing the inside of the wheel arch it is also a good idea to hose the jack points. It seems reasonable to assume that anything that prevents a build-up of dirt will reduce the likelihood of rust.

neilrr said:
All cars suffer from rust eventually.

...but some Mercs suffer from rust prematurely.

..........perhaps, but that's not what the OP asked.

Do all MBs suffer from rust eventually?

I must say that all the cars I owned in the past 15 years were rust free: 2 Vauxhalls, a Toyota, a Renault, and the Merc.

I typically keep cars for a few years, so would have probably noticed if rust developed. Perhaps I am just lucky. All cars are/were parked on the street in Central London.

My worst rusting car was a seventies Alfa Romeo, though to be fair the car was crashed and repaired a couple of times which did not help.

Last edited:
Of my four MBs, only the mid-1990s W202 has suffered from rust. It had a noticeable patch around the number plate on the tailgate, and some minor bubbling under the paint at the front of the roof, by the windscreen seal. Nothing on the wheel arches at all, though they may have been repaired at some point before I got the car.

All the others (W168, R170, R171) were/have been rust-free. As for washing, my SLK is lucky if it gets washed four times a year.

Compulsery winter tyres and doing away with salt and grit may be the way to go.

But I can`t see David C wanting our cars to last longer. :dk:

lewyboy said:

I am assuming he was referring to the (previous government's and some countries in Europe) scrappage scheme meant to help revive car production during the downturn.

Scrapping our 10-years old cars in favour of new ones may not be very environmentally friendly, but jobs come before the planet.

Strangely, the government's funding seems to have helped mainly workers in South Korea.

The cynics will obviously say is has to do with car manufacturers' lobbying and political Big Business connection etc.

Exactly markjay thanks.

Whist on holiday in Madeira, I noticed taxis (predominantly MBs) were rust free.

In Germany, a couple of weeks ago W210s had noticably less rust than the typical UK car.

A member of this club in Japan showed to us pics of his `totally rustfree` W124.

US MBs are regularly advertised as rustfree, so I ask myself; Are MB going to be unduly concerned about the British rust wail?

I don`t think so. :(

Keeping your car outside is best from a corrosion point of view. Rusting is a chemical reaction which proceeds more rapidly at higher temperature assuming the presence of water and other chemical pollutants . Leaving your car outside also hastens the drying process by allowing free circulation of air . The downside is paint/trim and tyre damage from Ultra Violet radiation damage which is another factor which mediates the rate of chemical reactions. It can also expose the upper bodywork to harmful "chemical fallout " especially if you live by the sea [ fine windborne spray] or in an industrial urban environment. The irony being the car rusts quicker in the warmer months but the main "seeding" of harmful chemicals/materials takes place during the colder months with road salt and agrochemicals. This is in addition to the abrasive removal of any underbody protective coating which again takes place in winter mainly. So I reckon simplest compromise is a large well ventilated car port with UV filter roof panels and frequent use of a power washer both above and below .

p.s. we are talking all year round daily driver here otherwise you enter the territory of heated garages and dehumidifiers sunny days only cars which is a different ball game altogether.

Last edited:
I've owned six w126 cars and they have all had rust. However once the rust had been dealt with none of them got any worse. I've also owned six or seven VWs and none of them had any rust anywhere. Shame on MB...

Since 2005 all Mercedeses (correct plural?) have been galvanised. Which sounds great but my understanding is that Mercedes have never told anyone where the galvanising is. So, maybe not so good.

Galvanised 2005 on Mercedes still rust, for some reason Mercedes don't find it shameful that only their cars seem to rust, they just don't seem to care.

You'll read on this forum that Vitos don't rust, but they're about the most rusty of the lot.

I am assuming he was referring to the (previous government's and some countries in Europe) scrappage scheme meant to help revive car production during the downturn.

Scrapping our 10-years old cars in favour of new ones may not be very environmentally friendly, but jobs come before the planet.

Strangely, the government's funding seems to have helped mainly workers in South Korea.

The cynics will obviously say is has to do with car manufacturers' lobbying and political Big Business connection etc.

I see.

Still find the connection to David Cameron a bit tenuous though.

It doesn't really matter to me and I certainly won't rush to defend any politician.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom