Do I need phone prep?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MOCAŠ

MB Enthusiast
Car
SLK
This may be a daft question, but do I need to order telephone pre-wiring for my new SLK if I want to use a phone via COMAND online/steering wheel buttons, or does Bluetooth connectivity supersede the need for pre-wiring (with compatible devices)?

Bluetooth connectivity works fine, you can use the steering wheel buttons to control the phone, and your contacts are navigable on both the COMAND and cluster displays.

Phone pre-wire and a cradle is useful if you need to use your phone in poor signal areas as it includes an external antenna, and it also keeps your phone charged if its plugged in to the cradle.

Unlless you have very specific needs, I wouldn't bother with pre-wire on a new car.

As above and also consider the phone specific cradle has to be bought seperately (£80 - £500). iphone cradles are about £400 - £500 depending on model. I didn't bother!

Thanks chaps. I'd come to pretty much the same conclusion, but then had a wobble moment when I began to wonder if the Bluetooth only worked if you also specified pre-wiring.

I very rarely use a phone in the car, but for the few times I may need to I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

I done the same thing but did order then had to change, I can't see the benefit with the Bluetooth option.

Another one in agreement here. Bluetooth with COMAND does everything I want except charge the phone. I don't find it too arduous spending the couple of seconds it takes to plug my phone into the USB connector living in the centre stowage compartment so that I get charging as well.

Does the Bluetooth connectivity come as standard now? I have just had to buy a unit for my 07 W211. £300 from Benz, same unit £200 from elsewhere.

Does the Bluetooth connectivity come as standard now? I have just had to buy a unit for my 07 W211. £300 from Benz, same unit £200 from elsewhere.

Yes they all have it now

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom