Do I pay for a B service?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ordessa

Car
B class
I got a B Class from a Hampshire dealer last year (almost 12 months ago) it was a 65 plate B class with 18 miles on the clock!

So... the car pops up with "A service needed"... local Portsmouth dealer insists it needs a B service...but will discount by 50 quid if I dont borrow a car... (ooo how nice of you!)
so the service is now just shy of £400

so a car thats done 10k miles in a year... and they say needs a B service (or they will remove the recovery service from me...that was almost a threat... OUCH!) they say it had an A service before I got it... for 18 miles I bet that took them a long time to do... probably a visual check and a reset..

So SHOULD I insist on what the car wants... and then argue the case for recovery..or just buy AA service..
Or pay the B service and and weep... for the 400 quid ??

:confused:

The service will go by mileage or 12 months which ever comes first. If you don't have the service you will lose the recovery but also any warranty. It will also compromise the engine by running it without the reset. So looks like you are stuck with the dealer. Thought they might have been a bit more friendly though.

Have a look here:

Mercedes-Benz ESS

Also, on a general note, the first service is 'Service Schedule A', the second is 'Service Schedule B', then the third is 'Service Schedule A' again and so on. So if the car had one service form new so far, then it would have been an 'A Service' and it will now be due a 'B-Service'.

Said that... if yours is the B180 Diesel, then I think the service is due at 12 months or 15,500 miles, whichever occurs sooner - so if the car has never been serviced before, it would seem that you have overshot the first service by some 2,500 miles?

I very much doubt a service was given on a car with 18 miles on it.

If they did a service the electronic logging was not reset I suppose.

Can you not book it in with an alternative dealership as an A service?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Does the £400 include a brake fluid change which is recommended every 2 years?Otherwise a basic B service usually costs about £120 more than an A which would seem worthwhile to keep the warranty and any goodwill benefits in the future.

go with the flow...

Does the £400 include a brake fluid change which is recommended every 2 years?Otherwise a basic B service usually costs about £120 more than an A which would seem worthwhile to keep the warranty and any goodwill benefits in the future.

NO idea... I'll find out when I go in...

I just P'd off the way I was treated ...like "well if you dont pay for this then we wont do this..."... I was reporting to them what the car said "A Service".

so mr garage ...dont shoot the messenger..when i go in I will point out the dissatisfaction about they way I was spoken to...

I do love the (unknown) but that says if you dont borrow one of our cars we can discount it by £50..

V temtped to say "dont bother washing and hooving it... does that get me a further 50 quid off"..

never expected to be treated like this as a customer.

:mad:

Hey ho...I'll stump up as I care about my car.

Ask the dealer for a print out of the digital service record - you'll soon see what servide(s) it has had and thus what it now due.

When I bought my car recently, the (non-MB) dealer said they wouLd give it a full service. Turned out that was a oil &foil filter change and a wipe down. I had it properly serviced by my local MB dealer, and have piece of mind and full Mobilio euro breakdown

Last edited by a moderator:
If the car is a 65 plate then it would ask for a service as it reached 1 year old, regardless of mileage. Whether the supplying garage did this or just reset the service indicator is a moot point, but as the car is now around 2 years old it is asking for a B service which is correct. There is no argument that I can see?

Russ

When was the car registered? Not saying this is the case but should go from when registered , right up until the 28 Feb 2016 it will be a 65 plate which would mean that 28feb 2017 the car is a year old, could be a late registered car that's gone past its annual service date which if that's the case may invalidate warranty on the engine, wouldn't invalidate other parts of the warranty I wouldn't have thought

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you buy it from a Mercedes dealer? If it was a Mercedes approved car, then one of the criteria is that it has a correct MB service history.

That would require it to be serviced at 1 year, even if only 18 miles. If it wasn't serviced I'd take it up with the supplying dealer

NO idea... I'll find out when I go in...

I just P'd off the way I was treated ...like "well if you dont pay for this then we wont do this..."... I was reporting to them what the car said "A Service".

so mr garage ...dont shoot the messenger..when i go in I will point out the dissatisfaction about they way I was spoken to...

I do love the (unknown) but that says if you dont borrow one of our cars we can discount it by £50..

V temtped to say "dont bother washing and hooving it... does that get me a further 50 quid off"..

never expected to be treated like this as a customer.

:mad:

Hey ho...I'll stump up as I care about my car.

The charge for a hire car is quite common nowadays with many MB dealers.

If the car is a 65 plate then it would ask for a service as it reached 1 year old, regardless of mileage. Whether the supplying garage did this or just reset the service indicator is a moot point, but as the car is now around 2 years old it is asking for a B service which is correct. There is no argument that I can see?

Russ

The car is asking for an A service I believe hence the dispute.

Unless I have misread something (possible)

What does the dash on the car say? If it does say B and they are insisting on a B to keep your warranty etc, then its probably best to get that done. A second year B service would usually be a B service + Brake fluid change. Is there a particular reason you are going to a main dealer? We would be happy to do the service for you at a much lower cost and we are only 20 mins from Portsmouth.

Send us an email on [email protected]

Thanks

Natacha

The car is asking for an A service I believe hence the dispute.

Unless I have misread something (possible)

In that case, maybe the car is older than a 65 plate suggests. Possibly sat in a dealers for a year before being registered as a 65 plate, so a year after registration the car is actually 2 years old and asks for a B service. Next service would be an A but the car is now nearer 3 years old.

I bought a 2017 reg SLC with 170 miles on the clock, but the build date was a year older, 2016, it stated that the next service was a B from the day I picked it up even though it was only registered the month before.

Russ

Maybe you should offset the B service cost against the saving that you must have made on the purchase price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom