Do we have any vinyl flooring experts on the forum ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LTD

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Polo GTi (and a travel pass for the train and subway)
As per the thread title, we are thinking about having our hall floor done in a vinyl and have a couple of questions to people in the trade.

I've used vinyl many times as an end user, but not an expert.

I recall Lee has some flooring knowledge.

What do you need help with??

whitenemesis said:
What do you need help with??

I'm considering the brand Moduleo (Dryback vinyl panels - not click laminate) and would like to here from fitters or suppliers if they have any issues with the product.

LTD said:
I'm considering the brand Moduleo (Dryback vinyl panels - not click laminate) and would like to here from fitters or suppliers if they have any issues with the product.

Amount of Moduleo flooring I've seen that needs ripping up and replacing, is shocking

Personally I'd just avoid, not even worth risking the floor lifting or shifting

Ash

Do you think this is an issue with the product or the fitters ?

Is there a brand that you would recommend ?

As stated before Karndean are big in this market.

What has put me off previously is that the floor must be very smooth to make vinyl look good and, as a result, I have always stuck with real wood. Most recently some good value oak flooring which, in my opinion, looks great and is hard wearing.

LTD said:
Ash Do you think this is an issue with the product or the fitters ? Is there a brand that you would recommend ?

From that other link I'd say definitely a problem with the product

How good is the floor beneath? If property is 1999 build date or older don't forget to see if there's asbestos tiles beneath, and even if there isn't- but there is black adhesive down, that can have asbestos in it too

Self levelling floor screed or something beneath vinyl or laminate should be alright if it's not even

Last edited:
Thanks

Looks like I'll avoid it and look at other options.

House is post 2000 and new build on a concrete pad so should certainly be asbestos free.

Not going for another solid wood floor as it's not the look we want - hence the vinyl. Won't do laminate at all. Heavy traffic and sometimes wet from dog / shoes etc.

Thanks to all for the advice !!!

Professionally laid Amtico or Karndean will give you a quality floor.

Ours is Amtico and it certainly stands up to heavy use and wet dogs.

Thanks

Looks like I'll avoid it and look at other options.

House is post 2000 and new build on a concrete pad so should certainly be asbestos free.

Not going for another solid wood floor as it's not the look we want - hence the vinyl. Won't do laminate at all. Heavy traffic and sometimes wet from dog / shoes etc.

Thanks to all for the advice !!!

Ceramic?

You can get some that looks like wood (or marble or pretty much anything that can be printed).

Ceramic not idea for heavy floor traffic such as hallway. Porcelain tiles would be better suited but can/will be cold to live with (unless you've the luxury of underfloor heating.

As Codger said Amtico & Karndean are quality but only as good as the fitter. As with most things in life preparation is paramount.

Ant.

Ceramic not idea for heavy floor traffic such as hallway. Porcelain tiles would be better suited but can/will be cold to live with (unless you've the luxury of underfloor heating.

As Codger said Amtico & Karndean are quality but only as good as the fitter. As with most things in life preparation is paramount.

Ant.

Ant.

I have a small room with filled and honed travertine walls and floors.

It's quite a nice finish, easy to care for even inside a shower.

How about something natural like sisal?

I have a small room with filled and honed travertine walls and floors.

It's quite a nice finish, easy to care for even inside a shower.

How about something natural like sisal?

Honed and filled travertine is really nice (just completed our daughters en-suite with the very thing)

However it's still relatively soft for heavy traffic areas and I never trust it with underfloor heating as it very easily cracked along the natural veins and the weak spots of the honing process. (Just trying to cut the weaker pieces results in breakages.)

I'm interested to see how daughters en-suite ages especially in the bath/shower area. I've tiled dozens of bathrooms in travertine but I've never seen the rooms years down the line. I imagine the soap/shampoo/conditioner etc could cause discolouration on travertine over time? I've sealed and protected it three times so time will tell. ;)

I'm not familiar with Sisal. Tell me more. :thumb:

Ant.

Honed and filled travertine is really nice (just completed our daughters en-suite with the very thing)

However it's still relatively soft for heavy traffic areas and I never trust it with underfloor heating as it very easily cracked along the natural veins and the weak spots of the honing process. (Just trying to cut the weaker pieces results in breakages.)

I'm interested to see how daughters en-suite ages especially in the bath/shower area. I've tiled dozens of bathrooms in travertine but I've never seen the rooms years down the line. I imagine the soap/shampoo/conditioner etc could cause discolouration on travertine over time? I've sealed and protected it three times so time will tell. ;)

I'm not familiar with Sisal. Tell me more. :thumb:

Ant.

The travertine in our shower room has lasted well for 8 years, there is a product called HG mould spray which deals with any mould in the grout etc.

Sisal is a natural woven product, similar to coir, a bit like a posher woven doormat I suppose. It's very hard wearing and laid a bit like carpet to quick to instal and not permanent.

The travertine in our shower room has lasted well for 8 years, there is a product called HG mould spray which deals with any mould in the grout etc.

That's good to hear Lewy. :thumb: can't grumble at 8 years (unless you only shower on Birthdays & Christmas? :dk:)

I'll search for the HG Spray. The grout in general should be ok for a while. BAL Microban is a fairly good product.

What people don't realise is its the soap/shampoo etc that cause the main problems, not the actual water.

Ant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom