Do You Remember Your Yamaha FS1E?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Mine was a run out model DX with handle bar fairing in red. Last of the unrestricted ones :)

Started my 5 year run with bikes before learning how to drive.

Last bike was a Honda CB650.

Never had a Yam, first legal bike was a ZR50 X1.

Kenny

Mine was a Gilera moped - every time it rained it stopped, but could be fixed with talcum powder and vaseline - both carried with me at all times :D.

I had a purple 1976 FS1E unrestricted in 1983, it ended up with a big bore kit and a micron exhaust and a top speed of around 55-60 depending on tail wind and a nice down hill road

Never had a 50cc but a mate had an RD50MX we used to bomb about on 2 up!:doh:

Tony.

Never had a Yamaha, I had the smooth 3 cyl Kawasaki 250

Mine was a Gilera moped - every time it rained it stopped, but could be fixed with talcum powder and vaseline - both carried with me at all times :D.

And that My Lord is the case for the defence.......................:D:D:D:D

I had a purple 1976 FS1E unrestricted in 1983, it ended up with a big bore kit and a micron exhaust and a top speed of around 55-60 depending on tail wind and a nice down hill road

Me too, I was an apprentice sparky on a YTS scheme for £40 a week and it's all I could afford. It had a non legal pipe on it so I had a little plaque made up with a bs number on and stuck it on the exhaust so it would pass an MOT :crazy: The bloke who I worked with ported the exhaust and I can remember him telling me to hold on to it as it will be popping wheelies in second gear and I fell for it :eek:

My mates all had DT50's and RD50's and I can remember tipping a bit of silkolene oil in the tank so it smelt nice as I flew past them all :D

Perhaps you should have kept it :crazy:
Cripes!

Back in the 1970's a couple of mates had the original gold / white FS1E's like that 1972 example. They used to go for around £145 for a used one in good shape :doh:

My first moped was a red Suzuki AP50 - think it cost approx £250 back in 1978

I'm sure it was at least 1 mph quicker than my mates FS1E, but depended on whether I had my L plates on :)

Saved £5 a week from my after school cleaning job for a year and got on the road on my 16th birthday.

Yellow, Kenny Roberts FS1-DX £230 new - and Jack Lilleys in Shepperton threw in a helmet and gloves as I paid in cash.

NPB 189P where are you now!
;-)

Never had a Yamaha, I had the smooth 3 cyl Kawasaki 250

I had one too, followed by a 400 - neither particularly quick though.

RD's and X7's would chew me up every time :(

And that My Lord is the case for the defence.......................:D:D:D:D

I could tell you that the talc and the vaseline were liberally applied to the spark plug lead/cap in an attempt to dry it out and prevent it arcing to the finned cylinder head, but I guess I'd be wasting my time :D.

Back in the 70's had a Mobylete moped then straight onto a Yamaha XS 250, Suzuki GSX 250 and now Kawasaki Zephyr 1100 and of course my 2005 S 320CDI :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom