Do you use fog lights at the first hint of fog

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MB Enthusiast
Car
2009 W204 C180K
I recently completed a motorway journey in the dark and fog. The fog wasn't too bad with normal rear lights easily visible for several hundred yards so it was comfortably safe to drive at 60 MPH or even at the 70 limit.

What I thought made it less safe was that at the first hint of fog a minority of cars turned on the high intensity rear fog lights causing excessive glare and making visibility worse not better. Some of the newer cars looked to be putting out vastly more lumens than the old 21 Watt incandescent fog lamps. In a similar vein to the head light debate more is not always better.

The problem seems to be that you need sufficient IQ to realise that if you can still easily see normal tail lights of the car in front then you don't need rear fog lights on.

Is this a paranoid rant on my part or is ramping up the lumens at every opportunity a good thing.

Front fogs never bother me, it Does my head in when the car infront has the rear foglight on in traffic, you spend the time looking at something as bright as a star going Supernova.

The only time you ever need to use the rear fog is when you can't see anything behind you Gerry!

Only where visibility is reduced to less than 100m by fog or falling snow .

It used to be unlawful to use fog lamps in circumstances other than the above , and I consider that to still be a good guideline to work by .

If I can't see the car in front, then I'm sure the car behind cannot see me. Fog light on.

I've started using them when I see these idiots "vaping" ...they seem to have a competition on who can imitative a steam train...****ers

If I can't see the car in front, then I'm sure the car behind cannot see me. Fog light on.
^This. - Otherwise I just leave them off.

If I'm driving through clouds I'll turn the lights off when I'm in a clear patch, and back on when the visibility drops.

I was sat in a queue of traffic. Nose to tail. It was a bit foggy but still good visibility. The daft bint in front of me slapped her rear fogs on. Audi A3 has two mounted high up. It was like following an SR-71 on full reheat. I announced my displeasure with some full beam but it didn't make any difference. She was probably on Facebook commenting about an irate bloke in the traffic jam behind her. I was very pleased to let a van in from a side street to protect me from her radioactive glow. No doubt she still had them on the next day.

I rarely use them unless visibility is very poor. They don't bother me though and are preferable to some who drive with no lights at all in misty conditions conditions.
Apart from in traffic, if the glare affects you then I would suggest you may be too close.

....The daft bint in front of me slapped her rear fogs on..... No doubt she still had them on the next day.

If she was on the M1 late Friday night then they were still on !

A little research confirms it's illegal to use fog lights when they are not warranted by the conditions. "Seriously reduced visibility" is the wording in the actual law and the highway code gives as guidance "100m visibility".

It's a legal requirement for cars to be fitted with at least one rear fog light and it's illegal to use them inappropriately but perversely there doesn't seem to be a legal requirement to use them when they are really needed.

Perhaps the most disappointing aspect of the Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989 SCHEDULE 11 which relates to rear fog lamps is this:

8. Wattage: No requirement

9. Intensity: No requirement

So I wasn't imagining that they had got much brighter. The advent of LEDS lamps allows the car manufacturers to double or triple the intensity of rear fog lamps and they will still be lawful. Anyone for HID's on the rear ?

I've started using them when I see these idiots "vaping" ...they seem to have a competition on who can imitative a steam train...****ers

Ah yes these idiots who stop using harmful deadly tobacco products and replace it with a safer alternative.

This is the industry i own a company in so hope you understand my taking a minor offence :thumb:

lfckeeper said:
Ah yes these idiots who stop using harmful deadly tobacco products and replace it with a safer alternative. This is the industry i own a company in so hope you understand my taking a minor offence :thumb:

Until the doctors realise that vaping is also harmful.

Front fogs never bother me, it Does my head in when the car infront has the rear foglight on in traffic, you spend the time looking at something as bright as a star going Supernova.

The same effect is gotten by these HGV drivers who seem to think it's cool to ring the rear facing edge of their units with red LED strips. Blinded by the light!

Until the doctors realise that vaping is also harmful.

Indeed, and everyone has all of a sudden become an Internet Chemist mixing their own liquids and swear it is totally safe. Funny that as I guess I've waisted 4 years in University studying.

I do also feel like switching my fogs on when I see that big battery pack and huge puff of vape coming out...

But seriously yesterday was pretty bad, and typically where it was bad you didn't see anyone with fogs on, one two idiots with nothing on, and where it was clear you were created by bright rear fog lights.

I tend to switch mine on when it is less than 50m (roughly 150 foot), and adjust my speed accordingly.

I would rather someone had them on early than the other people who don't use them, or any other lights in fog.

dejongj said:
Indeed, and everyone has all of a sudden become an Internet Chemist mixing their own liquids and swear it is totally safe. Funny that as I guess I've waisted 4 years in University studying.
I personally couldn't give a **** about vapourists because I managed to give up the fags properly. And as we all know vapourists are all wannabe non smokers!

Ah yes these idiots who stop using harmful deadly tobacco products and replace it with a safer alternative.

This is the industry i own a company in so hope you understand my taking a minor offence :thumb:

Prove it.

I would rather someone had them on early than the other people who don't use them, or any other lights in fog.

^^^^^

This.

I'm way more concerned by the people who don't bother switching on their lights at all in low visibility conditions.

It seems to me at least as if there are more numpties than ever who just don't react to fog by switching on their lights at all.

So you're profiting from this switch over from a harmful product that has taken decades to convince people is harmful.

And now providing them with a 'safe' alternative that will IMO inevitably prove to be less safe than is conveniently assumed at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom