Do you use the speedtronic limiter?

Do you use the speed limiter on your Merc?

• No, not fitted

Votes: 7 1.6%
  • No, don't use cruise or limiter

Votes: 40 9.2%
  • No, do use cruise

Votes: 199 45.5%
  • Yes, I regularly use the limiter

Votes: 191 43.7%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Both systems work well, the driver just needs to adjust their driving style to suit.

CC can be successfully used around town as long as you leave plenty of space.

Deadhead said:
Not so. Press the throttle past the kickdown point and you can go past the limited speed. There is a warning beep. My problem is that I've just switched from a S211 to a new E220 S212 and they've swapped the levers around. So I keep trying to indicate with the speed limiter.

Forgot to mention, mine's a manual, so there's no kickdown!!

I've used both, CC to see how far down a road I can get before I need to hit the brakes. Speed limiter to see if it worked.

Both are pretty pointless, I wouldn't choose to have them. But in my last 3 cars they have been standard fit.

I use the CC almost all the time, even in traffic. Alas it doesn't work at slow speeds (below 20mph) otherwise I would be using it too on the back roads to avoid speeding.

CC is great when there are average speed cameras - just lock it into the correct speed and pick a lane that allows you to cruise at that speed. You can back off by tapping on the brakes and pull the level to resume once the traffic speeds up again. No need to keep the foot on the gas pedal giving my right foot a great rest.

I have played with the Speedtronic a few times as I feel I ought to use it, but I don't find it particularly useful on an automatic so I don't use it at all.

I only really use it in areas of average speed cameras. Other than that I just drive the car myself or use cruise control for longer sections of road.

I use cruise daily. Only tried the limiter a few times and didn't like it particularly.

Never but I use the CC a lot.

Worth spending time to practice to see if it's useful to you. Limiter definitely useful in town. Cruise can be useful but I'm afraid of getting complacent at higher speeds, prefer to keep alert the old fashioned way. As I don't drive in Germany, I have no need for the other limiter (Winter top speed). Very used to these in the 211 along with digital speed display and parking sensors and ESP but when I switch back to the 124 I don't miss any of them as the seat of my pants is the only sensor I need in that car :rolleyes:

I still haven't really got to like the limiter as I prefer to use cc, the key thing being to keep your distance.

Although kickdown overrides the limiter, it seems too harsh a way to eliminate the limiter when need be. Cc allows minute +/- adjustments and it works well for me in town, on long straight roads and everywhere else including the 50mph average speed limits on motorways.

Maybe, in time, I will grow to like the limiter, but not so far. It is too eerie for my liking to press the accelerator and the car not respond when it reaches the set limit. Possibly dangerous too, for this reason.

I use the CC a lot on longer runs, but i've never used the limiter !
I'll give it a go one day ...... honest :D

Yup, I use it, as little as possible though. It makes one less thing to concentrate on where there are average speed check cameras in contra flows.

Use the cruise control all the time, I find it fairly difficult to keep the car at 60 or 70 depending on single or dual sections of road.

Very rarely use the speed limiter, as other posts say, you can easily override it with kickdown anyway.

Always in average speed camera road sections, I set it at 3mph higher than the limit.

Where traffic is travelling at similar speeds, such as the 50mph average speed sections on motorways, use of cruise control seems more instinctive than the speedtronic limiter to me, but I see that some, many even, seem to use the limiter in this situation instead. I'm wondering why that would be.

I find the more I use cc on the motorway, the more skilled I become in using it:
. lever forward to re-engage cc to last set speed
. lever backward to disengage cc
. lever up to increase by 1mph from currently set speed
. lever down to decrease by 1mph from currently set speed
. hold lever up and car accelerates until you let go of the cc lever

This rich functionality allows one to travel safely, effortlessly and easily without using the accelerator or brake pedals, unless required.

So do people use the limiter in 50mph average speed zones because they prefer it to cc, or because they are not very familiar with the cc controls, or because of some special advantage, or some other reason? :dk:

Last edited:
Only use speedtronic limiter in two cases:

1.) Motorway roadwork contraflows where speed limit is dropped to 50mph.

2.) Anywhere that's using SPECS average speed cameras.

I like the way the segments on the speedo light up with the CLS when using either speed limiter or cruise control. The systems worked perfectly on my previous C240 but the 'at a glance' info is perfect on the CLS dash.

S.

*EDIT*

... So do people use the limiter in 50mph average speed zones because they prefer it to cc, or because they are not very familiar with the cc controls, or because of some special advantage, or some other reason? :dk:
When in contraflows or average speed camera traps I feel the limiter gives a greater degree of control back to me with finer precision...

Cruise Control: runs at a base speed of x mph and the driver can go faster by pressing the accelerator but car will revert to x mph if there is no input from the driver. [On my CLS little segments in the speedo light up from set speed to max speed]

Speed Limiter: runs from 0 to a max set x mph. So ultimately the driver is deciding what speed to travel at by constant input (not the car defaulting to a set speed). You can accelerate past the set speed on the speed limiter by engaging kick-down on the accelerator pedal. [On my CLS little segments in the speedo light up from zero to set speed]

Last edited:
Question for Steve_Perry,

I used the speed limiter once, and have never felt so out of control of the car in all my 50+ years of driving! but could be persuaded to try again. However my car is a manual, so no kickdown.

Can the limiter still be over ridden, if so, how?

Thanks

Malcolm

I dont use the limiter lots but fi d it very good i the average speed areas on the motorways, set it at 50.then drive like you ormally would! If you have to slow down because old doris is trundling along at 40 and theres a wagon at the side of you you just slow as normal, the motorways rou d me at the moment are full of roadworks and 'managed motorway' areas gggggrrrr and they are very busy so.the limiter is loads better than the cc IMO of corse

What i find a pain is when the limiter is on and you kickdown to fly past something or someone it doesnt return to the limit i set when i let my foot off. I think that after kicking down to 70 from 50 the speed shpuld return slowly to 50 as i let my foot off. Does that make sense?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom