Do you wash your own car or not

Do you wash your own car or not

• I wash my own car

Votes: 444 82.7%
  • Some one else cleans my car

Votes: 93 17.3%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Genuine question.

Does the claybar pick up dust or grit?

It's a good question...if it picks up particles as it's supposed too...don't these then scratch the surface?

Genuine question.

Does the claybar pick up dust or grit?

Most debris that is stuck in the clear coat that washing alone didn't remove, Tar spots etc

You can use a some Iron fall out remover to,

I can see clay leaving the paont feeling smooth but if I was trying to avoid scratched I don't see rubbing at the paint with a gritty bar being helpful.

I can see clay leaving the paont feeling smooth but if I was trying to avoid scratched I don't see rubbing at the paint with a gritty bar being helpful.

see post 163

Thanks for the link, I note that the forums of that site have a lot of chat about claying being the cause of scratches.

It does seem odd that the claybar, plus lubricant, can remove stubborn debris yet the removed gunk never touches the surface again.

The contaminants which are picked up by the clay bar can theoretically scratch the paint, which is why cleanliness is important by making sure the car is thoroughly clean before starting. It's also vital to keep folding the clay in upon itself every few passes, change it when it gets dirty and, if it's dropped, bin it immediately.

It seems to be a lot of palaver, though it's only a once a year thing to do, at least on mine, and it does make a massive difference to the finish.

The contaminants which are picked up by the clay bar can theoretically scratch the paint, which is why cleanliness is important by making sure the car is thoroughly clean before starting. It's also vital to keep folding the clay in upon itself every few passes, change it when it gets dirty and, if it's dropped, bin it immediately.

It seems to be a lot of palaver, though it's only a once a year thing to do, at least on mine, and it does make a massive difference to the finish.

I have to say that I agree with your second paragraph, years ago a friend showed me his 10 year old Audi which he had clayed and it was very smooth indeed.

I just find the process curious.

if it's dropped, bin it immediately.

You know hat you have gone and done now. Don't you.

Every single time I congratulate myself on not dropping the sponge.......Splodge. Just like buttered toast, it always, always lands in a pile of grit that appeared as if by magic, from out of nowhere.

Every single time I congratulate myself on not dropping the sponge.......Splodge. Just like buttered toast, it always, always lands in a pile of grit that appeared as if by magic, from out of nowhere.

Sponge? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: Lambswool mitt only please. :D :cool:

Thanks for the link, I note that the forums of that site have a lot of chat about claying being the cause of scratches.

It does seem odd that the claybar, plus lubricant, can remove stubborn debris yet the removed gunk never touches the surface again.

I agree, it does seem strange. But it's amazing the difference it makes, just make sure, as has already been said, you turn the clay regularly, and use plenty of lubricant. I use Meguiars Last Touch detailer spray liberally.

There's also a reusable 'clay' mitt which does a similar job, I think Halfords sell them.

And a second "shock horror" at the use of a sponge! You'll be saying you use a chammy leather next......

Last edited:
Hacked off at the lack of an easily-accessible tap, I started stitching together various lengths of old hose I had lying around yesterday and now I finally have water on my drive.

Yey.

Washed both cars by hand yesterday.

Done by my local car detailer, £25 in and out, or £15 just for outside. He does a cracking job and comes to me. Uses the 2 bucket safe washing technique as well.

Anyone in Northampton who is interested PM me and ill send over his contact info

cheers

I saw it, so you are saying that some lubricant will prevent the debris scratching the paint?

I don't see that being reliable, how does it work?

Plenty of lubricant can will minimise marring of the paint but it can occur when claying.

That said you'd be polishing as the next step anyway which would remove any of those effects anyway. :)

I've always cleaned my own cars, only used a car wash a handful of times. I've really been bitten by the detailing bug since purchasing a white car. This my first selection of WAX panel pots.

Hacked off at the lack of an easily-accessible tap, I started stitching together various lengths of old hose I had lying around yesterday and now I finally have water on my drive.

Yey.

Washed both cars by hand yesterday.

How long did you need the hose to be?

How long did you need the hose to be?

No idea but I'm on a slightly odd plot so can't take it the obvious short route and it was to circumnavigate three sides of a 2400 sq/ft detached house.

Luckily I've had some big gardens in my time and have accumulated plenty of hosepipe.

I just wanted to get it done as I'd recently waxed both cars and wanted to keep topping up the finish with Autoglym products.

When I get in developed I'll have two tap - a cold one round the back for the garden and a hot/cold combo down the side for washing cars and so on.

No idea but I'm on a slightly odd plot so can't take it the obvious short route and it was to circumnavigate three sides of a 2400 sq/ft detached house.

Luckily I've had some big gardens in my time and have accumulated plenty of hosepipe.

I just wanted to get it done as I'd recently waxed both cars and wanted to keep topping up the finish with Autoglym products.

When I get in developed I'll have two tap - a cold one round the back for the garden and a hot/cold combo down the side for washing cars and so on.

Blimey.
Get why you're having to connect hoses now!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom