Dodgy garage?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dannyallen89

Car
mercedes c220 amg sport
Hi all just wanting some input had my c class now around 1month it had a not and b5 service before I collected it,
Driving recently I heard a rubbing noise so put it in the garage they told me the tracking was way off (no big deal sorted) they then showed me the mot fail in March before I bought the car and then the 1 in April.
March was terrible alot to sort out April not even an advisory but nothing but pads had been changed as I have checked the paperwork. I'm absolutely shocked as now the discs need changing and the bearings.
a84f612d77575f84d4e4058a14c69dd6.jpg
64d9216e1863764e0968b6f29877c96c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Was it bought from an MB dealer, a trader, or privately?

What year and what mileage?

It was bought from a trader 2013 32000 on the clock 1 owner ex disability car.

Edit

Do the bearings need changing ? They may just need adjustment which is a simple job. Brake discs have a specified wear limit so they may have some life in them yet. If the tyres ave been replaced and the tracking is fixed, the car is not as bad as all that.

Disability driver must have been heavy on the brakes, my discs are still original at 57,000 miles.

There's nothing major wrong with the car.

Front wheel bearing needing adjusting at 30k miles is perfectly normal. Takes about 15 minutes per side.

Discs are by definition consumable items.... not sure what's wrong with yours but if they do need changing at that mileage then that's not unreasonable at all.

As for the tyres, as 190 said, make sure the tracking is sorted, or better still get a full geometry check, but again it is perfectly normal for the suspension to go out of alignment over time.

On another note, you seem to be saying that the advisories have 'disappeared' between one MOT test and the next? Well this is the nature of advisories... some MOT testers will consider an item worthy of an advisory, others won't.

In summary the car seems fine to me. Get the suspension alignment checked and the front wheel bearings adjusted, make sure you have good tyres and discs, and you can expect another 30k of trouble-free motoring :thumb:

On another note.... it's worth asking your local MB dealer for a printout of the service history, if you didn't get one with the car.

The car should have the following services:

2014 - Service A

2015 - Service B + Brake Fluid change

2016 - Service A

2017 - Service B + Brake Fluid change + Air Filter change + Fuel Filter change (Diesel only)

2018 - Service A + ATF change (if automatic)

You can find out more here:

Mercedes-Benz ESS

Last edited:
On another note.... it's worth asking your local MB dealer for a printout if the service history, if you didn't get one with the car.

The car would have the following services:

2014 - Service A

2015 - Service B + brake fluid change

2016 - Service A

2017 - Service B + brake fluid change

2018 - Service A + ATF change (if automatic)

Not sure when the Air Filter and Fuel Filters are due on your car, but most likely it's on the 4th year service (i.e. this year).

You can find out more here:

Mercedes-Benz ESS
I got all the service paperwork when I picked it up they have just been changed on this service I have changed the alloys over since buying the car and changed all 4 tyres had them balanced and tracking done.
It's in the garage now having the bearings checked again and front discs I will update when I get the feedback. Thanks everyone I'm useless when it comes to cars.

I got all the service paperwork when I picked it up they have just been changed on this service I have changed the alloys over since buying the car and changed all 4 tyres had them balanced and tracking done.
It's in the garage now having the bearings checked again and front discs I will update when I get the feedback. Thanks everyone I'm useless when it comes to cars.

Note that I amended my original post regarding service schedule.

There doesn't seem to be much amiss there. The previous 'owner' has, presumably, spent the minimum necessary to satisfy requirements before handing it back.

The daft thing is that if you've had new discs, you should have had new pads fitted as well as it's good practice to fit new pads when fitting new discs and, presumably, the pads fitted previously hadn't done many miles. Of course, the garage might have been happy to refit the nearly new pads.

There doesn't seem to be much amiss there. The previous 'owner' has, presumably, spent the minimum necessary to satisfy requirements before handing it back.

The daft thing is that if you've had new discs, you should have had new pads fitted as well as it's good practice to fit new pads when fitting new discs and, presumably, the pads fitted previously hadn't done many miles. Of course, the garage might have been happy to refit the nearly new pads.
The pads have done 200miles max I don't use the car very much so they where fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom