Does MB TMC work???

Does MB TMC reliably pick up TMC signals?

• Yes, works fine on COMAND - Get signal all the time

Votes: 18 81.8%
  • Intermittent, My COMAND only picks up TMC after more than 30minutes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, My COMAND hardly ever picks up TMC signal

• Yes, works fine on Audio 20/UMI - Get signal all the time

• Intermittent, My Audio 20/UMI only picks up TMC after more than 30minutes

• No, My Audio 20/UMI hardly ever picks up TMC signal

Votes: 4 18.2%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NISFAN

Car
F13 M6.....for now
I recently had the UMI/Navigation set-up added to my Audio 20 (2010 C class), and am having a bit of a mare with TMC. Having driven all over the country, I have only had it working twice (same trip up A1 to Darlington, and return journey), other than that the icon is greyed out, and inaccessable.

MB dealer that fitted it have fobbed me off saying it is TMC broadcast schedule that is at fault not thier UMI.

So those of you with TMC, please can you post up on the system you have, how well it picks up a TMC signal.

This is not a debate on how accurate TMC is :mad:, just do you have access to it on a regular basis.

So me first.

NISFAN
Audio 20/UMI
Hardly ever recieve TMC signals

Thanks for your input:bannana:

Last edited:
I have one fitted when I bought the car second hand. It was operated by the useless Traffic Master.

To continue to benefit from it I have pay yearly subscription.

I also noted it run off my battery very quickly, so I dismantled it in the front passenger footwell. They drilled a hole in the dashboard for the push button activation voice controlled only and a mic on the driver pillar.

Recommended by Merc dealer is not necessary it good stuff.:dk:

NISFAN
Audio 20/UMI
Hardly ever recieve TMC signals

whitenemesis
COMAND-APS
Continuos coverage, very reliable.

APS 50. Seems to recieve TMC on a regular basis. Re-routing is a swine though with no screen view of the route.

TMC is only as good as the info being inputted. Mine is right around 75% of the time - the other 25% it shows red cars and the queue has gone. Do I follow their suggested re-routes? Yes because why have it and not use it...So when I do use it I have no idea if I would have been better not following it because I have..ooer

Upon returning from Jays on Sunday Comand rerouted us and told us to continue down the M1 and not go on the M25. As we joined the M25:rolleyes: the traffic slowed to a complete halt. We waited and crawled a bit. This is the fourth time I have ignored the re-routing and coincedentaly its the fourth time i've regretted it!

As for ignoring the TMC, your damned if you do, damned if you don't mostly. :)

Alfie, you know the Audio 20 /UMI reasonably well don't you? What is your opinon on the TMC functionality?

I often use Vodafone trafficline to back up Sat Nav traffic information.

Generally helps with my confidence level.

As for ignoring the TMC, your damned if you do, damned if you don't mostly. :)

Alfie, you know the Audio 20 /UMI reasonably well don't you? What is your opinon on the TMC functionality?

The few I have seen, work fine. I gather though from some, its not always the case.

My dealer has now said that he will contact the main UMI expert in the UK and ask for feedback, but half offered a full refund and to have it removed.

I might just take this up and have a COMAND system installed instead. Thoughts anyone?

Tmc on umi

If you go to my last post on the 2/7/10 you will see the saga of this unit and its woeful software update which has led to me now getting a full refund of unit and software cost. If you need traffic info regularly this unit will not provide it I'm afraid although the mappinig and i-pod connectivity is good.
LEN.

LEN

I eventually had Nav20/UMI removed from my car for a full refund, all because TMC was non functional. (Despite MB claiming that it works as per the manual)

I now have a retro fitted COMAND unit, and it is brilliant. (Well except for the fact that is sometimes takes an age to aquire current position, and only has 5 digit postcode search)

I am hoping the next software release for comand has 7 digit postcode, and road speed data on screen like the Nav20 had.

Another example yesterday on the way back from TRAX, TMC diverted my thro milton keynes on the M1, i know ppl who didnt were stuck for at least 25 mins in the traffic iand others longer!

I had UMI fitted to my 2008 C220 Estate last April.

TMC has only worked once in all that time (when I was outside Gloucester - the only time I've been near Gloucester this year).

On the plus side, the iPod integration is great and as a nav unit, it's OK, though a £200 TomTom is better value.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom