Does staggered fit set-up affect handling????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
200 sounds much better than 100, the blinkin tyre nearly cost that!

I have only seen 1 set on ebay as i recall in recent weeks and he had £180 buy it now, and they didnt sell, i just thought he was unlucky or maybe something was wrong with them, but it seems he was prob on the money just nobody wanted them?

I have only seen 1 set on ebay as i recall in recent weeks and he had £180 buy it now, and they didnt sell, i just thought he was unlucky or maybe something was wrong with them, but it seems he was prob on the money just nobody wanted them?

That's probably the reality of it. You may have to wait for someone to really want a set.

Most people upgrade to bigger wheels, not often replace like for like size wise. Someone will want them at some point, but will want them for tuppence.

I just switched from 16" to 18". What a difference in feel with control of the car. More responsive, although a little harder, but not by much.

I have to report the opposite. Less tramlining, probably due to less flex in the tyre side wall flex from road to wheel, due to being a lower profile.

No difference to speedo reading. Cross checked with a members web link on tyre difference size versus speedo reading / sat nav reading / local speed warning digital sign and sitting behind 70mph wifes car on the motorway.

Hi 230K

increased fuel may be down to the profile of the rear tyre!!!!
for example
If i were to run 255/35/18 on the rear of my car i am lead to believe that the rolling distance would be correct.
However if i elect to put on 245/40/18 (for comfort reasons) then the rolling distance would be incorrect and aledgedly when traveling 70mph on the clock, i would in fact be doing more like 73mph.
So if you equate mph into miles then for every 73 actual miles you travel your mileometer only registers 70.
This equation although probably a pile of the preverbial, would answer 5% of the up to 10% you are talking about !?!?!?!?!?!
May I ask, why would you want to fit the wrong tyre size for comfort, when you know it will put your speedo reading out .A bit risky with the cameras ?

Hi

The indicated speed versus the actual speed on nav usually 1-2mph at 60 never changes when swapping them around.

265/35/18 has a rolling circumference of 1960mm
235/45/17 has a rolling circumference of 1962mm

That equates to 0.1km/h of a difference at 100kmph

http://www.club80-90syncro.co.uk/Syncro_website/TechnicalPages/TRC calculator.htm

They use more fuel, are hard to keep in balance, are very harsh on the road, seem to pick up more nails, tramline, more susceptible to kerb damage, more expensive to buy, last a shorter time, but they do look good :bannana:
DSC01781.jpg

Your choice

Just my experience and opinion combined.

When I upgraded to from 16'' to 18'' I noticed that i went from 330 miles to a full tank to (at worst) 280 miles! I wasn't too chuffed..

After a little tinkering with the air pressures and being a little more conservative with the accelerator, I managed to get it back to 330 miles, but it was hard graft!!.. Strange!!

Agree with all that, especially the last bit..

They do look really good! :D

I think I got around £120 on ebay for the set of Avantgarde 16'' wheels and tyres that were in excellent condition from my upgrade. People don't wanna pay much for them I experienced!! Just start at no reserve and see what happens. Thats what I did and they did get alot of attention and obviously went for the price above.

I thought this was better than them sat in the garage taking up space.... :)

Last edited:
How can changing from 16 or 17 inch wheels to 18 inch wheels possibly change the fuel consumption of your car if the rolling circumference is the same ?

Only possible factor I can think of is the mass of the wheels, which are highly unlikely to change, unless made of lead.

In the last 3 weeks, I have done 5 trips between Mull of Kintyre and Preston. Each time I reset the trip meter, and I still average 36mpg per trip, no difference at all from 16" to 18" wheels, and I do this jouney twice a week,

Last edited:
As an afterthought.. The guy who bought my wheel did for a set of winter wheels for his winter tyres.. Try that angle to sell them...? Worth a try... ;-)

Increase in consumption will be from the following factors. More mass (if the new wheel/tyre combo is heavier). If the new tyre is also wider it will have a larger contact patch, so more friction and rolling resistance, and a wider frontal area so more aerodynamic drag at speed. This also increases consumption.

How can changing from 16 or 17 inch wheels to 18 inch wheels possibly change the fuel consumption of your car if the rolling circumference is the same ?

Only possible factor I can think of is the mass of the wheels, which are highly unlikely to change, unless made of lead.

In the last 3 weeks, I have done 5 trips between Mull of Kintyre and Preston. Each time I reset the trip meter, and I still average 36mpg per trip, no difference at all from 16" to 18" wheels, and I do this jouney twice a week, so how are you coming to these figures ?

Rolling resistance? Only if the tire width increases as well though.

edit - timekemp beat me to it! :)

An increase in unsprung weight would affect fuel consumption, as well as handling, ride comfort, etc.

Cheap big wheels are often cast, and so can be fairly heavy.

In the last 3 weeks, I have done 5 trips between Mull of Kintyre and Preston. Each time I reset the trip meter, and I still average 36mpg per trip, no difference at all from 16" to 18" wheels, and I do this jouney twice a week,

Look at the emissions for different alloys on the same car here
http://www2.mercedes-benz.co.uk/con...w_cars/models/e-class/s211/technicaldata.html

Oh and 18" AMG wheels and tyres are much heavier than 17" wheels and tyres.

Last edited:
Rolling resistance? Only if the tire width increases as well though.

edit - timekemp beat me to it! :)
OK, so can you explain to me why my mpg has not changed between 16" and 18" wheels on the same journey that I do every weekend and why fuel guage levels off at the same point after each journey ?

Thats not fair!! You edited your post before I could quote!! I got those figures similar to how you did, reset my trip meter and drove the same route as I always do and compare!

I put it down to the drag, aerodynamics and tyre pressures somehow!

An increase in unsprung weight would affect fuel consumption, as well as handling, ride comfort, etc.

Cheap big wheels are often cast, and so can be fairly heavy.
Bobby Dazzler. Thanks for getting the dig at me on my new wheels being big and cheap. I will remember that.

Cast,...so you reckon originals are turned down on a lathe ?

More frontal area from wider wheels, and 'dished' wheels are more draggy than flat-faced ones. I suspect the overall increase in aerodynamic drag would be a pretty small percentage though.

Thats not fair!! You edited your post before I could quote!! I got those figures similar to how you did, reset my trip meter and drove the same route as I always do and compare!

I put it down to the drag, aerodynamics and tyre pressures somehow!
How did my edit affect your post ? So your fuel consumption was worse after changing to 18" wheels ? I don't understand that, even if refering to internet spec site.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom