Does the comand NTG2.5 adjust the screens brightness automatically??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gIzzE

MB Enthusiast
Car
65 plate BMW F11 Touring (165k miles) + Porsche 911 Carrera 4 (140k miles) Doing my bit to be green.
As the title says really, I have the NTG2.5 Audio 20 and it has a setting for Day and Night and also a brightness slider, however the brightness is not independent for day and night, if you set it for 10 so you can see it in bright sunlight when it swicthes to night mode it stays on 10 and too bright.

Just wondering if the comand handles this better??

The Nav in every other car adjusts the brightness using a sensor, so find this a little annoying.

On the Comand NTG2.5 you have a brightness level control, then you choose one of the following modes: day, night or automatic which switches between day and night mode automatcially using the cars light sensor. It doesnt adjust the brightness automatically.

Last edited:
What a **** system!!

Even my 10 year old Nav in the BMW adjusted the backlight depending on the ambient lighting.
My £99 Sony Nav unit adjusts with a light sensor.

A £59 Navigon I have sets the brightness independently for day and night.

This system means you have to go in and a adjust it on a daily basis. :(

FWIW, my 4-year old Garmin SP2720 adjusts the backlight according to ambient light levels (as well as auto-switching between day & night modes) yet my brand new Garmin Zumo 660 has no ambient light sensor although it still auto-switches between day & night modes. Both are high-end devices with a similar target market, so I've concluded that Garmin at least are ditching automatic backlight adjustment.

This is probably a function of the generally better resolution and higher contrast levels that newer LCD panels can achieve meaning that the need to adjust the backlight level is less than it used to be. Of course, it could also be because it's cheaper to make it that way ;)

Of course, it could also be because it's cheaper to make it that way ;)

Surely not!? :D

Surely not!? :D
:D :D :D

However... I confess that I don't really understand your comment about needing to adjust the display brightness every day? My experience with an NTG2.5 COMAND system is in my wife's SLK350 and the ambient light levels in that vary enormously according to whether the roof's up or down and I've never felt the need to change the brightess of the display :dk:

Well during the day when it is really sunny it needs to be on 10 to see it properly, however, late at night when I am tired and it's dark 10 is far too bright and it gets tiring, so I drop it down to around 3.
I just wish it would have a brightness setting for Day mode and Night mode separately.

Ahhh... OK, I understand.

TBH I have never really found the need to adjust the brightness either but I guess it depends on the location and angle of the unit in the car as it will be different for each car.

Last edited:
I guess it depends on when you drive too.
If I am popping out and only in the car for 10 mins around town I don't notice.
However if I have been in the car for 6 hours already and on a completely dark dual carrigeway it becomes very obvious just how bright it is.

I know it doesn't bother many people as I see car after car with their TomTom in the middle of their screen on day mode and full brightness in the middle of the night, it really does effect your vision and make your eyes tired far quicker too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom