Domain registration / DNS Managment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

A-AvantGarde

MB Enthusiast
Car
2015 911 Turbo S, 2019 Volvo XC90 T5 Polestar Optimised
Trying to standardise to a single provider for domain names. The key thing for us is that we want to manage the DNS records (A record & MX record) for these domains ourselves via a web portal / control panel.

We have about 12 domains at the moment and following a recent acquisition will be transferring about 6 or 7 domains in from them. We don't need any web hosting as that's done externally, we simply want to control the renwals and DNS records from a single point.

I had been recommended Fasthosts, so I transferred 7 of our domains into them to find to my horror that they only support one MX record :eek:. They do not allow us to have two records for MX priority / preference. Bizarelly they only accept IP addresses for MX records (against best practice of using hostnames!).

Need to move these domains ASAP and have a common place to put the other ones. We have mainly .co.uk domains, a couple of .net and some .com

I have been recommended www.virtualnames.co.uk but they look very cheap! I have to remember never to judge a book by it's cover.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Last edited:
www.fasthosts.co.uk have been good to me - got about 15 with them now.
If it's just domain registration, it's free. - they only charge for hosting.

I had been recommended Fasthosts, and I transferred 7 of our domains into them to find to my horror that they only support one MX record :eek:. They do not allow us to have two records for MX priority / preference. Bizarelly they only accept IP addresses for MX records (against best practice of using hostnames!).

Thanks, I've tried them already!

Although I'm sure they're fine for web hosting and domain registration they can't offer what I want / need for the DNS managment. The funny thing is they call their offering 'advanced DNS!'...

OK - sorry - was asleep when I read your first post !

Trying to standardise to a single provider for domain names. The key thing for us is that we want to manage the DNS records (A record & MX record) for these domains ourselves via a web portal / control panel.

We have about 12 domains at the moment and following a recent acquisition will be transferring about 6 or 7 domains in from them. We don't need any web hosting as that's done externally, we simply want to control the renwals and DNS records from a single point.

I had been recommended Fasthosts, so I transferred 7 of our domains into them to find to my horror that they only support one MX record :eek:. They do not allow us to have two records for MX priority / preference. Bizarelly they only accept IP addresses for MX records (against best practice of using hostnames!).

Need to move these domains ASAP and have a common place to put the other ones. We have mainly .co.uk domains, a couple of .net and some .com

I have been recommended www.virtualnames.co.uk but they look very cheap! I have to remember never to judge a book by it's cover.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

www.easily.co.uk

They let you do all your own DNS and even transfer DNS hosting elsewhere whilst they keep the domain registered for you.;)

Privately I use them. Corporately I use EasyNet.

Sounds a bit mickeymouse but I use freeparking, you get full DNS management including TXT records and it's reasonably cheap.

Service is crap but if you know what you're doing you'll not need it. Used them for years now and had no issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom