Dorset, late august break - need some recommendations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maxi4

Car
Not an MB right now :(
Hi Guys & Gals - need the expert (collective) advice/recommendation from this group on where to stay. My son wants to go fossil hunting, so planning to stay down near Lyme Regis over the bank holiday w/e. Where would you stay? do you guys have any recommendations?

Cheers
Pete

Hi Guys & Gals - need the expert (collective) advice/recommendation from this group on where to stay. My son wants to go fossil hunting, so planning to stay down near Lyme Regis over the bank holiday w/e. Where would you stay? do you guys have any recommendations?

Cheers
Pete
Hi Pete, did a lot of fossil hunting in Lyme Regis myself as I used to live in the south west, We used to stay in a cottage literally a few yards up from the pub (the one just before you step onto the beach) can't for the life of me remember the name of the pub (was a while ago) but if you google Lyme regis pubs you may be able to find it, The publican knows the people that own the cottages so will be able to put you in touch with the owners! Sorry I can't be anymore specific than that, we stayed there many times and at various times of the year and never had any trouble booking.
Good luck.:thumb:

You are on the right track wanting to stay around the Lyme Regis area, that being part of Dorset's Jurassic coast. I'd also recommend around Lulworth Cove/Durdle Door for great scenery and fossil hunting.
Unfortunately, living here I don't get to stay in hotels nearby so hard to recommend anywhere specific.

Durdle door and Lulworth Cove are the two attached images taken from Google images.

Last edited:
Thanks for your input guys. still not booked anything yet, trying to...today

Best
Pete

We stayed in Bridgnorth back in 2007 and it was great.

Quite hilly.

Forget which accommodation we stayed at now.

We visited Lyme Regis as there are a few places on that coast with fossil opportunities (we went with my parents - the fossil stuff is more my dad's thing).

If you are going to Lyme Regis, Keith Floyd had his last meal there, at Hix Oyster and Fish House.

If you were a fan of Broadchurch, it was filmed in and around Bridport/West Bay, and further east is a place called Burton Bradstock, with a fantastic al fresco fish and chip restaurant, The Hive, which will be busy!

The coastline is a curious mix of natural beauty and MoD firing ranges, and one place you should visit is Tyneham, which residents were forced to vacate in 1943 for military training to take place there, sadly never to return, which they didn't know at the time. There is also the Tank Museum at Bovington (just up the road from Monkey World), neither of which are far from where T.E. Lawrence (of Arabia) lived and had his fatal motor cycle accident. Monkey World wasn't there then, but I often wonder what might happen if they got into the Tank Museum!

Last edited:
My friend always stays in a pub on the promenade, top place is Lyme, if you fancy a fishing trip pop over to Beer, and Babbacombe has an amazing model village and gardens. Good for all ages.have a nice hols.
Ps. Don't forget your hammer !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom