DPF additives info please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mbenz1

MB Enthusiast
Car
'08 C320 CDI Sport w/ Advcd. Agility Package
Hi

We are currently almost in a done deal with a 2008 S320 CDI, which has a DPF, however before putting the payment down we just want some last minute advise on this topic. i checked with my local indie, and he told me about these additive type products, which aid the regen process,

he said go for a motorway run once a month and add this additive (such as forte dpf cleaner) to the tank once a month also and you should be fine with you're everyday city driving type runs.

i would like to know what is you're take on this? do these additives really work, and is this scheme of
city driving + motorway run once a month + additive formula reliable enough? because the car would mainly be used for city stop and go short trips type driving.

also could you please explain what is actually a good motorway run for reliable regen to take place, how long?, what speed?, non stop? etc

advise would be much appreciated, as the car is great, it is only this DPF issue which is a bit doubtfull.

Last edited:
You can regenerate by just revving and holding between (at a guess) 2500-3500 rpm whilst stationary which is how a STAR Machine carries out the process.
Short runs aren't good for any engine. My 3.0V6 Vito did short runs before I bought it and the EML light kept showing. Had the DPF regenerated but it didn't last for long and I ended up having a new pressure sensor after which there have been no problems.

I use Millers Power Sport in my Vito and also make sure the engine is put through its paces in the right places. The emissions on the last MOT were remarkably low.

Our man Johnsco sells the Millers in bulk quantities at a very reasonable rate.

Forte additive is brilliant and works but as Ringway says use Millers Power Sport for diesel in every tank and you won't need the Forte will have a nice clean free revving engine for a long time. we stripped a BWM 530d that had been run on Millers all its life the engine internals were clean as a whistle at 109,000 it was amazing to the normal gunk you see with people who use cheap fuel and Oils. All my cars run Millers and I have never had a problem even on Volvo's whose DPF's are very sensitive and give in easy. Buy, use Millers, Enjoy :thumb:

Why buy a diesel for your type of motoring ?

Surely a petrol is your answer ?

Have the DPF removed and problem solved.

:D i wish i could, it would make life very easy..thanks to that new law introduced last month it seems impossible now.

thanks for you're input, however can someone shed some light on the DPF additive issue, and the fact that i am using the car for mainly city driving please.

Last edited:
Why buy a diesel for your type of motoring ?

Surely a petrol is your answer ?

even i would prefer a petrol, however unfortunatley they are thirsty (S350), and very rare, so the 320 CDI would have to do.

oh dear ive gt a 320 diesel and I use it 4 local deliverys , it hardly gets above 30 mph all day and wen I stop I leave it running while I deliver parcel , it is not switched off for 5 hours , looks like im doing exactly the opposite of whats recommended its all local work no fast roads just residential sometimes driving less than 250 yards between houses I hope im not storing up problems , its a v reg e320 diesel

oh dear ive gt a 320 diesel and I use it 4 local deliverys , it hardly gets above 30 mph all day and wen I stop I leave it running while I deliver parcel , it is not switched off for 5 hours , looks like im doing exactly the opposite of whats recommended its all local work no fast roads just residential sometimes driving less than 250 yards between houses I hope im not storing up problems , its a v reg e320 diesel

Hi,
Your car is far too early to have a dpf!

I'm pretty sure your Owner's Handbook will tell you not to add ANY aftermarket additives.

i have a 10 plate c220 cdi sport(d3s) and it only gets used for short runs (school run) i had dpf light come on as it was not regenerating due to the lack of use.
i used dpf power clean from turbo diesel solutions uk it was the only 1 tuv approved i could find and german made.
i used this with a full tank of fuel and took the car for a motorway run.
they say run the car over 40mph for 20 min i did this for about half an hour around 70mph i actually seen the soot and ash come out of the exhaust on the motorway after returning home and restarting the car the light had gone out and car has been spot on ever since.
its still only used for short runs.
apparently the additive rises the burning temperature of the fuel forcing the car into a regen at any speed.

hope this helps.

:D i wish i could, it would make life very easy..thanks to that new law introduced last month it seems impossible now.

thanks for you're input, however can someone shed some light on the DPF additive issue, and the fact that i am using the car for mainly city driving please.

You can have DPF removed without anyone knowing any different, have the DPF taken out of the car and cut neatly open, then remove all the insides and weld it back up and it still appears that is is there as they only inspect that it is fitted, then have the car remapped for the removal of the DPF. My local performance tuners do it all the time when cars come in with blocked DPF's, problem solved forever.

i have a 10 plate c220 cdi sport(d3s) and it only gets used for short runs (school run) i had dpf light come on as it was not regenerating due to the lack of use.
i used dpf power clean from turbo diesel solutions uk it was the only 1 tuv approved i could find and german made.
they say run the car over 40mph for 20 min i did this for about half an hour around 70mph i actually seen the soot and ash come out of the exhaust on the motorway after returning home and restarting the car the light had gone out and car has been spot on ever since.
apparently the additive rises the burning temperature of the fuel forcing the car into a regen at any speed.

hope this helps.

Wouldn't running the car for 20 mins @ 70 mph clear the DPF anyway, without adding the snake oil?

You can have DPF removed without anyone knowing any different, have the DPF taken out of the car and cut neatly open, then remove all the insides and weld it back up and it still appears that is is there as they only inspect that it is fitted, then have the car remapped for the removal of the DPF. My local performance tuners do it all the time when cars come in with blocked DPF's, problem solved forever.

That's the way to do it, it has to be present but doesn't have to have any internals, another farcical feature of the MOT :wallbash:

Wouldn't running the car for 20 mins @ 70 mph clear the DPF anyway, without adding the snake oil?

Nope, you have to give it a serious high speed motorway run to regen the DPF. You have to remember the design of DPF is based on countries with higher motorway speeds than ours which suits regen, despite what anyone says a 20 minute 70 mph run will do nothing for the DPF, we had seen and replaced loads of failures even on high mileage motorway cars where the DPF had gone before 80,000. If you want to regen the DPF it needs a high speed long motorway run.

I usually do mine on the way back from the curry night in Scotland, 247 miles in 2 hours 50 minutes, you can do the maths :D Never had to change a DPF on any of my cars :thumb:

hope this helps.

Thats good to hear. I have seen a DPF additive at Euro Car Parts for circa £12 - TRIPLE QX DPF Additive. It does the exact job as you mentioned about the additive you used.

I would like to know, after you got your DPF system regenerated, did you still put the additive in the car and take it for scheduled long-runs?? Thanks

This sounds very attractting but what if in the future the MOT regulation for DPF changes from just a 'visual' inspection to a proper inspection, that can verify that a DPF is actually fitted... Maybe this can be done by checking the exhuast temperatures, pressure or exhuast gas flow characteristics...

or a smoke test.

Actually you can tell if a DPF is fitted by simply looking at the tailpipe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom