Dpf C class What does the handbook say?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

latent

Car
C 220 Coupe AMG sport
I am buying. C 220cdi. I have read all sorts of stuff about the dpf and looking after them. But can someone quote what MB say from a recent 204 C class handbook

Thanks

In what respect?

You need to drive for a fairly long period a sustained high speed to do a regen.

Also, what the manual never says is make sure the thermostat is working properly, the car will only regen when it is at 88ºc I think it is on a Merc, and with most 'stats they struggle to hit this as soon as they get a couple of years old, may sit at 85ºc but this will stop a regen happening.

So make sure when you test a car it gets to 90ºc on the temp gauge.

I am buying. C 220cdi. I have read all sorts of stuff about the dpf and looking after them. But can someone quote what MB say from a recent 204 C class handbook

Thanks
Which Year you are planning to purchase? As some of the earlier once don't have a DPF at all =) - else gIzzE said the information you needed :thumb:

This is a brand new 2013 model. So I have only test driven a demonstrator. In what respect?..as I said what does the book say

Have a look at the online interactive owner's handbook on the MB website?

IRRC MB recommend driving for at least 20 minutes un-interrupted every 500 kilometres [ 300miles] in the owner's handbook

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/engine/144881-diesel-particulate-filters-dpfs.html
In other words if you drive for > 20 minute journeys every other day you can forget about the DPF -- if not-- you must make a conscious effort to drive that 20 minutes every 300 miles.

ps thrashing it down the road at high revs for 10 minutes ain't going to do it- its more to do with the engine /exhaust/ catalytic converter being up to temperature for a minimum period of time.

Last edited:
In what respect?..as I said what does the book say

Alright, keep your knickers on. :rolleyes:

My point was, you asked what they say in the book about them, you didn't say in regard to what, why they use them? how much emissions they stop? What you need to do to keep it working, ie any cleaners etc.? How to do a regen?

I was guessing it was about a regen, but thought I would ask what part you wanted to know about in case it was something else.

Alright, keep your knickers on. :rolleyes:

My point was, you asked what they say in the book about them, you didn't say in regard to what, why they use them? how much emissions they stop? What you need to do to keep it working, ie any cleaners etc.? How to do a regen?

I was guessing it was about a regen, but thought I would ask what part you wanted to know about in case it was something else.

OK point taken :) It's around looking after them on a new MB and avoiding problems and garage trips. I guess I was also wondering if MB DPFs differ from others or that more recent fitted DPFs are any easier to look after than when they were first introduced.

I think they are all a bit of a pain still, the main problem is how they monitor temperature, VW group and BMW use the thermostat temp to know when it is hot enough to do a regen and that is a problem as the thermostats fail terribly, not out by a lot but sit under the required temperature, this means it never regens and owners don't know, until it is too late. Thermostats need to be a serviceable part now if they continue to use them to monitor DPFs.

Apart from that I think they are all pretty much the same as they were, not heard any different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom