Dr E. Kerr - petition to overturn her conviction.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'll sign it, because from what I've read on that page, I'm on her side...

I didn't know change.org petitions were above the law, or that public opinion could overrule the law.

I'm just wondering how this petition is hoping to achieve anything?

I have signed also.
So despite the court finding she was not responsible for her actions, she was still convicted as she had no defence!

Some of our laws are so outdated and unjust it defies belief.

I'll sign it, because from what I've read on that page, I'm on her side...

I didn't know change.org petitions were above the law, or that public opinion could overrule the law.

I'm just wondering how this petition is hoping to achieve anything?

The petition was started by Dr John Doherty (a colleague of Dr. Kerr) in an attempt to get the conviction overturned - which by implication must be possible legally.
Change.org is as far as I know merely a collection point of support in his quest, high levels of support from the public being helpful in persuading those in authority to see the will of the public.
His concern is for her continued ability to practice as a doctor while this conviction remains in place.

As for the incident itself, apparently her behaviour was entirely consistent with the effects of the drug she was given (the violence from disorientation and an effort to protect herself) and that she was drugged is supported by toxicological tests. I think her's is a case worthy of support.

One instance of the law being an ass.
Signed

The problem possibly lies with the fact she assaulted a police officer---- the law takes a very dim view of that--- letting her off might set a legal precedent. As it was she was given a two month conditional discharge-effectively let off.
It was accepted during her trial that Dr Kerr’s drink had been spiked with the drug GHB, but the judge found her guilty of assault, resisting an officer and disorderly behaviour, and gave her a two-month conditional discharge
Doctor who assaulted PSNI officers while on date rape drug appeals conviction

The real issue lies with the GMC who "potentially" have the power to strike her off the medical register. This would be a totally unjust and disproportionate penalty in the light of the circumstances unlike the legal penalty which one could argue was proportionate . One would hope the GMC attitude would be more enlightened and she would be deemed as having no case to answer as far as they are concerned? :dk:

Signed, because she was drugged against her will, and all that followed was as a consequence...including the assault on the officer.

The problem possibly lies with the fact she assaulted a police officer---- the law takes a very dim view of that--- letting her off might set a legal precedent. As it was she was given a two month conditional discharge-effectively let off.
It was accepted during her trial that Dr Kerr’s drink had been spiked with the drug GHB, but the judge found her guilty of assault, resisting an officer and disorderly behaviour, and gave her a two-month conditional discharge
Doctor who assaulted PSNI officers while on date rape drug appeals conviction

The real issue lies with the GMC who "potentially" have the power to strike her off the medical register. This would be a totally unjust and disproportionate penalty in the light of the circumstances unlike the legal penalty which one could argue was proportionate . One would hope the GMC attitude would be more enlightened and she would be deemed as having no case to answer as far as they are concerned? :dk:

See final paragraph post#4.

She is a victim - not an offender.

Signed.

One instance of the law being an ass.
Signed

The case really sucks so signed it but got to say I don't see how this particular petition is actually capable of achieve anything other than publicity: it predates her conviction and was for the Public Prosecution Service to drop the case.

But since she has now been convicted, there is nothing for them to drop.

An Appeal is in progress and that will take place in early July, so will be watching for further petition if she gets an adverse outcome.

This...

''She is now appealing her conviction through the courts, and is calling on the Public Prosecutions Service (PPS) in Northern Ireland to drop the case against her at the appeal, while her colleagues have also launched a petition to help fight her cause. ''

....is as much as I can find re petitioning the PPS. It does appear to be the most current petition and is aimed at helping her appeal process.

I can fully understand why the law can not accept involuntary intoxication as defence, and I don't think this needs changing - but I don't understand why she was actually prosecuted - the way out for both the police and prosecution would have been to let her off with a police warning. I really don't see the public interest in prosecution under these circumstances.

This is interesting...:

http://www.drugs.com/illicit/ghb.html

Also:

It seems that GBH is not usually linked to violent behaviour, quite the opposite.

It seems that GBH is mostly taken voluntarily with alcohol as a party drug, its use as 'date rape' drug makes interesting headlines but it is not the drug's most common use.

So... had the prosecution claimed that her behaviour (apparently she bit an officer) was due to alcohol (apparently she drank 6 glasses of wine, a beer, and a tequila) were the result of her alcohol consumption and not GBH.... or that there is no evidence that the drug was administered against her will... they would have had a good case.

But for the prosecution to accept that her drink was spiked, and that her actions were the result of the drug, not the alcohol.... and yet proceed with a prosecution, is very unusual indeed.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom