Drains in R107 SLC

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

OneCheque

Hi mates,

Recently I became the owner of classic 450 SLC equipped with sunroof,

I know it's essential to keep all the drains clean to prevent rusting. However, I have trouble locating all the drains in my car, despite reading previous posts about it,

Does anyone know about the picture showing the location of all drain enter/exit points in the car body?

I'd imagine such picture might have been drawn by someone, if not by Mercedes designers?

Regards,

Unfortunately I'm not able to open any of the links - have you recently opened any of them?

How about the other drains (I'd imagine they are common to all R107) - would you be able to direct me to any pictures?

Thanks a lot,

LINKS ARE WORKING FINE FOR ME? All the pics you need should be on that site under 107.*** remember to scroll down the page to see the menus/ choices

The rear end and the sunroof of an SLC are unknown things for me but the front half will be the same as an SL. There are two main areas of concern here which should be checked.

First is the front chassis drain. Poke a wire coathanger up this hole (both sides) just above the front rollbar brackets and observe where it comes out in the dip in the front chassis rail either side of the front of the engine. Clear out the muck here which traps the dirt and causes rust. (note my car has wing liners in the road of seeing which yours wont have)

Picture002-3.jpg

Second. Under the car and either side of the gearbox bellhousing there are two 'duckbill' rubbers. Pour a kettle of water into the scuttle vents near the wiper spindles. It should run freely out of these rubbers. This is the infamous scuttle drains where it rusts the inner bulkhead if not attended to.
If the water doesn't run squeeze the points of the rubbers together to open and rod upwards with a length of flexible curtain wire till it does. This is a messy business............don't ask?

Picture004.jpg

The drawing Grober pointed you at shows the drain pipes heading down the A & B pillars. If an SL soft-top drains are anything to go by they will run out into the sills internally. Just make sure your sill drains are clear.

Last edited:
Good morning guys,

Thanks for the advice - pictures are great. I'll inspect the holes shortly and will let you know. Shame I have no easy access to a ramp to inspect my car properly from the underneath,

To sum up - I should check the sunroof drains (down pillars A and C), two places shown by Druk and sills drains (are there 2 in each sill?).
Is there any other place where I should check, regarding water drainage?

Thanks a lot,

SLC Drain Locations

With all your searching, you've probably come across my requests for the same info.
I searched high and low last year for an illustration showing the sunroof exit points (both my front ones are blocked) to no avail.

It seems the front ones do exit within the front sill structure and the water spills through the visible front sill drains.

The rear drains exit through the air vents behind the louvred windows. It's impossible to see the exit point, but you will see the water drain out if you fill the sunroof 'moat'.

The sunroof cassette structure slopes down toward the rear very slightly, so if the front drains are blocked you stand a good chance of keeping the car interior dry, as long as it's not parked in a nose down attitude.

If you discover anything else regarding slc 'roof drains please post the information here. Thanks.

The drains for the sun roof will run down the A and C pillars. http://www.detali.ru/cat/oem_mb2.as...722.201004&L=765.701&cat=048&SID=78&SA=+55814 have a look round the exploded diagrams on this site which may be of help. http://www.detali.ru/cat/oem_mb0.asp?TP=1
ps its running a bit slow at the moment!

Slow??? I continually get a "Service Unavailable" message. I don't suppose anyone downloaded the images onto their own computer?

I've a 79 450SL which runs like a dream until it's been raining and then when you brake, the passenger gets a very wet foot! (Thankfully the heater operates in a binary mode - on or off - and when it is on, the said passenger's foot dries up quickly - leaving said passenger (the Mrs) to give me lots of grief for the rest of the journey).

Cheers...Neil

That's the problem with old threads. Sometimes the links cease to work. Indications are that the Russian site you mention is down for ever. This is an alternative. ??????

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom