Drivers 'need psychometric tests'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Satch

MB Enthusiast
Car
S211 E320Cdi Avantgarde Estate & Toyota Land Cruiser
It never ends.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6736587.stm

Some merit I suppose in that you weed out those stupid enough to not work out the "right" answers in such tests. e.g

'At what speed would you anticipate driving down this road?'

'Have you ever left the traffic lights while they have been on red?'.

Good idea in principle because we have all had the unfortunate experience to meet the " nutters" who should be not be allowed anywhere near a motor vehicle. :crazy: There are too many apparently "normal" people who display some very alarming personality traits behind the wheel. :eek: The road transport laboratory did some very good work in categorising people into behavioural groups to describe their behaviour --"dissociated passive" etc etc [cant find a reference to it at the moment- sorry:( ]. The problem was that although it was a good model to describe driver behaviour it demonstrated that people " migrated " between those categories depending on many factors affecting their personal lives so its use as a predictor of behaviour at any time was of limited value. :confused: Any test ultimately only selects people who are "good at passing the test". The underlying purpose of the exercise is then lost. Sounds as if answering a questionaire is something those with a psychopathic personality would excel at for example. I do think however there may well be a case for people convicted of, or charged with, multiple or serious traffic offences do undergo psychometric testing as to whether they should ever be let loose on the roads again.

I do think however there may well be a case for people convicted of, or charged with, multiple or serious traffic offences do undergo psychometric testing as to whether they should ever be let loose on the roads again.
Unfortunately I feel this would be something that our government would do? Legislation for the sake of legislation. We are talking about a section of society that quite possibly does not give one fig about the laws of the land and are even less worried about the niceties of owning a driving licence or taking out insurance?

John

Targeted Approach!

Unfortunately I feel this would be something that our government would do? Legislation for the sake of legislation. We are talking about a section of society that quite possibly does not give one fig about the laws of the land and are even less worried about the niceties of owning a driving licence or taking out insurance?

John
When I suggested this I was aware of this arguement John, BUT whilst acknowledging there would be difficulties in its implementation for some "groups":rolleyes: in society this not really a reason for not trying it. Just because people possess illegal firearms is no reason not to ban the legitimate possession of handguns for example. The latest tragic mass shooting in the USA demonstrated this so well. :eek: As far as the non law abiding sector are concerned it just adds one more item to their charge sheet which hopefully means they stay inside a bit longer tho probably not long enough! :mad: On the other hand, I can think of several upstanding pillars of society- eminently successful business men - whose personalities probably helped in no small measure to their positions of authority and power - who should not be behind the wheel of a car. Cars in the wrong hands can be "LETHAL WEAPONS". I welcome any attempt to reduce this and the most effective way to do this is to focus on people who have signaled by their actions to have a potential problem rather than a blanket approach for everyone IMHO.

Just because people possess illegal firearms is no reason not to ban the legitimate possession of handguns for example. The latest tragic mass shooting in the USA demonstrated this so well. :eek:

Not for discussion in this thread and probably not this forum but I strongly disagree with your point.

There were many thousands of people in this country who wanted to do nothing more lethal with their handguns than shoot holes in paper targets. Some of them actually managed to compete successfully at an Olympic level.

Nothing behavioral automatically transfers from the USA to this country.

Not for discussion in this thread and probably not this forum but I strongly disagree with your point.

There were many thousands of people in this country who wanted to do nothing more lethal with their handguns than shoot holes in paper targets. Some of them actually managed to compete successfully at an Olympic level.

Nothing behavioral automatically transfers from the USA to this country.
I appreciate what you have said, but I,m not going to get into that territory since its a very emotive subject as you rightly point out My fault for introducing it I guess.:eek:

Good idea in principle because we have all had the unfortunate experience to meet the " nutters" who should be not be allowed anywhere near a motor vehicle. :crazy: There are too many apparently "normal" people who display some very alarming personality traits behind the wheel. :eek: ....

I'm seeing lots. They are called 'Experienced drivers'.

Of course none of this will apply to me, I have nothing to fear................

Oh dear, the creeping control of our lives continues apace, wake up before it is too late!

Good idea in principle

Psychometrics?

Frankly I'd rather trust the Sorting Hat at Hogwarts.

However that term 'metric' implies it's a rigorous measure. It's not.

Psychometrics is a great game to get a group to think about its dynamics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom