Drivers of cars over a decade old £10 toxicity charge to drive through central London

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Yet another good reason for not driving into London. Train is the only sensible way of getting into the capital.

Not sure the people reliant on Southern Rail would agree.

Don't tend to drive in central London as it's time consuming and tiring. Both our cars even my 911 is not affected but doesn't mean I will be tempted to drive.
However I see that sooner than later they will expand it to the whole m25 and then they will be affecting 10s of thousands and it will end up another tax on motorist. Interestingly enough TFL busses are one of the biggest contributors of pollution

I wonder whether includes busses and taxis ;) Shame it isn't limited to just diesels with their NOx emissions as that is after all what it is linked to...

Wonder if the exemption for historic ( tax exempt ) vehicles will remain ...

Also a bit off if a blanket charge on all vehicles over 10 years age - there may be a few electric vehicles of that age which have zero exhaust emissions .

Yet another good reason for not driving into London. Train is the only sensible way of getting into the capital.

Thankfully it's 500 miles away from me and I only go about once a decade ( last visit was about 2002 ) ; I can stand the odd tenner that infrequently .

A lot more detail here showing that despite implications from some quarters that these decisions are essentially politically inspired "back of an envelope" stuff, there's a lot more to them than that. https://consultations.tfl.gov.uk/en...sultation-phase-2/user_uploads/appendix-i.pdf

ps while the figure widely quoted is pre 2005 I think its actually based on this altho it may have been modified since that document. :dk:

The ES will be an additional daily £10 supplement to the Congestion Charge payable by owners of older, more polluting, vehicles that drive in the Congestion Charging zone during charging hours. It will cover older diesel and petrol vehicles that do not meet the Euro 4/IV emissions standard for NOx and PM emissions. Pre-Euro 4/IV vehicles are generally those registered in 2005 and older.

Last edited:
Another way to kick the less well off! Most people with ten or more year old cars are probably driving them because they can't afford anything newer (me included), maybe the mayor should provide a reliable public transport system in London before clobbering it's inhabitants!

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk

Although this may be masquerading as being for the benefit of the environment, it's basically another tax on the motorist. Let's assume this is brought in and every non-Euro 4 compliant car is suddenly taken off the streets; how long do you think it would be until the legislation is changed so that anything that doesn't comply with Euro 5 has to pay?

Fortunately I don't have to drive in central London - in the 14 years that the congestion charge has been active I've had to pay it exactly once. But this is the thin end of the wedge - once London adopts it, the car-haters will be on a mission to roll it out nationally.

Cheers,

Gaz

People said that of the congestion charge itself, but due to the cost of the infrastructure to implement, no other city has yet to implement it.

It is inevitable that they will start with Euro IV then once they have been removed and the age of the Euro V compliant cars move to an age that won't cause outrage, they will move to them and so on.

Don't think affordability would be an acceptable answer to many, as you can buy Euro IV compliant cars for next to nothing these days. Choosing a non compliant Mercedes over a compliant Vauxhall or Ford will be seen by the masses as a personal choice, not a limitation.

I tend to drive only as far a Stratford and then use the tube from there as there is plenty of cheap(ish) arking at Westfield.

Other than strikes, claiming the area inside the congestion zone doesn't have a reliable public transport service is a bit of a stretch. It may be packed n rush hour, but the tube is very reliable for a major city.

On the TFL website there is mention of possible exceptions for "early adopters", cars which met the standards of Euro4 but were built prior to the establishment of the standard in 2005.
It seems that it is up to manufacturers to apply for exemption for these on a model by model basis. i wonder if MB will see enough marketing advantage in this to be bothered to do it.

If I do really have to suffer a visit to London on business or otherwise I take the train, no-one in the right mind that needs to be somewhere takes the car.

I've bought cars from people who live in the M25 area and met the sellers at Kings Cross and the experience of getting out of London is quite something; suicidal cyclists, suicidal pedestrians and Mad Max motorists.

If I do really have to suffer a visit to London on business or otherwise I take the train, no-one in the right mind that needs to be somewhere takes the car.

I've bought cars from people who live in the M25 area and met the sellers at Kings Cross and the experience of getting out of London is quite something; suicidal cyclists, suicidal pedestrians and Mad Max motorists.

I choose to drive in all the time. It is quicker, faster and most convenient than public transport. I had parking in Westminster so that wasn't an issue either. London is just fine to drive, no different than any other large European city, well other than being on the other side.

But hey if you can't stand the heat then don't do it; millions of others are just fine :thumb:

dejongj said:
London is just fine to drive, no different than any other large European city, well other than being on the other side. b:

The other two European capitals I have driven in I found much easier, Paris and Rome , both far less congested and free moving and less idiots too

The other two European capitals I have driven in I found much easier, Paris and Rome , both far less congested and free moving and less idiots too

Rome less congested? Wow the city where they try and put 4 cars next to each other in a 2 lane road :) I've got a very different experience. Not that I mind it though....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom