Drivers pay price of great diesel 'rip-off' as oil firms fail to pass back cost savin

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
And after my lovely optimistic post yesterday about oil dropping to $122 a barrel the European Central Bank made it's comment and I quote

"We could decide to raise interest rates"

Which shot the price back up to $128. Bugger.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12400801

And after my lovely optimistic post yesterday about oil dropping to $122 a barrel the European Central Bank made it's comment and I quote

"We could decide to raise interest rates"

Which shot the price back up to $128. Bugger.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12400801

That life. The fuel lorry drivers strike going to make it worse and confused the prices.

I'm not a fan of posts consisting of a link to an obviously politically biased newspaper and dont normally respond but...

A week or two back in a petrol price thread I said then that profiteering was happening because some garages (Tesco included) were putting 1 or 2p on per litre just because they could. To find oil companies doing the same thing is no surprise.
As long as they have the gold mine, we'll get the shaft

As long as they have the gold mine
Most of the oil companies that retail fuel in the UK have to buy in both crude and refined products on the open market to meet demand. E.g. it was mentioned in one of the other threads that Shell (one of the biggest companies) only produces 3% of the world's crude.

Diesel dropped 1.9p/ltr at my local Shell :)

I'm not a fan of posts consisting of a link to an obviously politically biased newspaper and dont normally respond but...
:confused: :confused:

What is the objection? Is it that the Daily Mail is right wing? Or is it any news web-site with a political stance that you find objectionable? If so, we will all be stuck with links to the BBC.

It isn't as if the link didn't warn you where it was going. You could always just not follow the link - I often visit a new thread and then move on without further perusal.

I'm not sure the daily fluctuation in oil prices is linked to the longer term costs of fuel manufacture/distribution/retail.
I'm sure there are other members more knowledgeable, but I think retailers will have a contract to buy fuel in advance at an agreed price. I imagine they will also use currency & commodity markets to spread their risks of these daily fluctuations.
I'm not saying they aren't making money, it's just not as straightforward as the headline numbers may seem.

I'm not sure the daily fluctuation in oil prices is linked to the longer term costs of fuel manufacture/distribution/retail.
I'm sure there are other members more knowledgeable, but I think retailers will have a contract to buy fuel in advance at an agreed price. I imagine they will also use currency & commodity markets to spread their risks of these daily fluctuations.
I'm not saying they aren't making money, it's just not as straightforward as the headline numbers may seem.

I think you are right, we use a national fuel card to fuel our 2 trucks and they do buy a week or two in advance. We have just received our weekly email informing us that our (bunker) fuel price for diesel will be 4p per liter cheaper next week than it was this week.:) Not a lot but its in the right direction.

However I've just seen the news and it looks like its back up for the week after......:(

M.

Do tell us which papers do not have any political bias.
So many call a paper biased if it has views different from their's.
And unbiased, of course, if it shares their views.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom