Driving a Mercedes in the snow

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Satch said:
True indeed, some vehicles will naturally be better than other due to weight distribution, etc. An odd feature not easily predicted is how well your tyre expels compacted snow/slush from the tread. Thus a perverse effect can be that driving too slowly will in certain conditions give a worse result because the crud does not get thrown off!

But this is not something I would ever want to try on Alpine roads: I saw a Belgium registered Mondeo in terrible trouble on a hairpin with only a light snow dusting. He ended up slithering backwards/sideways into a large roadside rock, that object then being the only thing between him, his entire family & certain death. Everybody else had no probs. because they had the right kit.

So when I said "must have" wnter tyres it is just that: we Brits sometimes get caught out for in some places it is a legal requirement to have winter tyres fitted in winter months and to use chains when snow is on the ground (Roadsign: White snowflake on blue background with representation of snowchains underneath). On the spot fines get handed out and you will then be turned back on pain of arrest.

I have no problem with this, for put in our terms driving on summer tyres in these kind of conditions would be not far off driving on slicks in heavy rain.

(That siad, driving in the UK alone I could not really justify two sets of tyres or even fitting the hybrid all season type, but since I have to have them for winter driving in Europe I stick them on around 1 December and switch back in April)
Which tyres do you get for winter and how much a tyre? Also is there a maximum speed for the tyre you buy like 75mph?

mercedes lover said:
Which tyres do you get for winter and how much a tyre? Also is there a maximum speed for the tyre you buy like 75mph?

Pretty big choice available. see link below

http://www.tyres-online.co.uk/techinfo/choice.asp

I have Vredestein, complete set (with black steel wheels, as I really did not want to cough for another set of expensive alloys only to fret as they were chewed up by grit/salt & also the snow chains) cost me Euro.740 in Munich.

No idea how much you would pay here, especially as there are now different models which can go up to a "V" rating of 130mph. Cheaper winter tyres are available, but they can be low rated.

See:

http://www.vredestein.com/english/index.html

(PS: For very bad conditions buy a set of spiked Icetracs. Then find somebody you hate enough and go do three point turns on their block paved driveway :devil: )

mercedes lover said:

Michelin do their alpin range which are H rated 130 mph.

Im considering getting a second set of wheels for winter and sticking some alpin tyres on them. Maybe just steel rims .

Satch said:
Pretty big choice available. see link below

http://www.tyres-online.co.uk/techinfo/choice.asp

I have Vredestein, complete set (with black steel wheels, as I really did not want to cough for another set of expensive alloys only to fret as they were chewed up by grit/salt & also the snow chains) cost me Euro.740 in Munich.

No idea how much you would pay here, especially as there are now different models which can go up to a "V" rating of 130mph. Cheaper winter tyres are available, but they can be low rated.

See:

http://www.vredestein.com/english/index.html

(PS: For very bad conditions buy a set of spiked Icetracs. Then find somebody you hate enough and go do three point turns on their block paved driveway :devil: )
Cheers for the link mate :bannana:

Also try mytyres.co.uk. You can select summer/winter/all season tyres. I notice they've got some pretty cheap Toyo snow tyres. Mostly the winter tyres are suitable for 118 mph - should be enough I think. My problem with the S03s is that I can't get above zero mph. It even got stuck in my driveway, which is level, in 2" of snow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom