Driving Abroad on a Cat D Vehicle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinal

MB Enthusiast
Car
x254, G350, Duster, S320, Mach1, 900ss and a few more
A question... I finally got my answer regarding annual CPC training for a cat D license... while needed if you plan on driving a bus for money (reward), if you're driving yourself & family you don't need to do the CPC anually...

That said, does anyone know what the regs are around driving abroad in a bus or lorry?

Say I buy an old bus and drive around Europe, I presume a UK cat D license is enough, or do I need to do anything extra? What about if I push out of Europe and into Asia? (Africa doesn't worry me so much...)

M.

Spina.l Where did you get the info re CPC and minbus. I drive a school minbus for disabled kids 16 seats and have heard lots of scare stories re the CPC, but have not been able to find any concrete info, maybe looking in the wrong place. Thanks in advance Tony

Spina.l Where did you get the info re CPC and minbus. I drive a school minbus for disabled kids 16 seats and have heard lots of scare stories re the CPC, but have not been able to find any concrete info, maybe looking in the wrong place. Thanks in advance Tony

From a local PCV/HGV school; they went into quite a lot of detail actually.

Apparently, to not need to do the CPC you need to pay for the fuel, insurance, road tax, etc yourself - these cannot be paid-for (nor contributed to) by anyone else, in the bus or otherwise.

That said, they did mention that it would be a "goto court" scenario, and that "common sense" would apply from the judge as there isn't that much written info.

They couldn't provide info on driving in europe tho... :(
M.

Last edited:
Quick note... just say the tags!

hairbrain scheme, stick to climbing trees

Why is it that clicking on hairbrain scheme seems to bring up only my threads? :p (and THIS isn't a hairbrain scheme!!! this one is a way to drive a bit further without having a campervan in tow!)

Ask Cliff, he must know.

summer_holiday-the_1461232c.jpg

[edit] what does it say you can drive on your license?

THIS is a good website that tells you if you need a cpc or not based on a series of questions it asks you, just click the what is a driver cpc and it takes you through from there:)

HGV CPC is every 5 years (got 4 years to do mine). I would think Cat D (which I also have) would be similar.

Daz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom