Driving around for past year with no MOT?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SilverSaloon

MB Enthusiast
Car
1994 W124 E300D Estate, 1985 R107 280SL
Hi

My wifes car is due for its MOT which is end of jan, so I dug out the documents thismorning to get the certificate in order to book it in for its new one.

Looking at the documentation I have, I have 2 failure certificates - one is a photocopy of the other.

Last year the car failed and I fixed it and took it back for the retest which I was told it passed and given the docs and went on my way. I cant remember whether I looked at the docs or not or whether I just filed them.

It definitely passed, or atleast I was told it had passed.

Anyway, back to thismorning, I've looked on dvla MOT history site which only goes up to the failure last year (no mention of the eventual pass).

The tax is also due so I tried to tax it online and it also says "cant because no MOT".

I phoned the garage and they have it as 25th Jan as being done which is correct (day it failed), and I took it back a few days later and then it passed, but they dont appear to be able to see that on their system.

Its booked in for an MOT tommorow afternoon, however I've been pulled over by the police once and so has my wife and they have done their checks and all has been fine.

Could I really have been driving around for a year with no MOT?!

I will try and phone DVLA later today to confirm either way I think - I was hoping the existing MOT would last into next week which would be more convienient to be done but now I have to get it sorted pronto :(

ouch - sounds like the MOT test centre dropped the ball somehow. It sounds like you have been very lucky not to have have had any side affects of this.

Could I really have been driving around for a year with no MOT?!

I will try and phone DVLA later today to confirm either way I think - I was hoping the existing MOT would last into next week which would be more convienient to be done but now I have to get it sorted pronto :(
Personally, I wouldn't kick the DVLA wasp's nest as the benefit that may come from it (being able to get the MOT done next week rather than now) is minor compared to the world of pain that it could open up.

id tend to agree, just get the new MOT and be done, don't bother chasing with the DVLA and any potential trouble that could come out of that!

Don't open the Can of Worms on this:ban:
BAZZER1

I'm just going to get it re-tested. (today)

cheers

Maybe he's in jail :D

Yes will have to keep this quick as Mr Mackay is doing his rounds! :eek:

The car failed on balljoints - Hence I have an interesting and cold weekend outside on the drive doing them for a retest next week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom