Driving Licence - Changes from June 8th 2015 - Reminder

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grumpyoldgit

MB Enthusiast
Car
C270CDI Avantgarde SE
Just a reminder about the changes which come into effect from Monday.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/driving-licence-changes

If you intend to, or need to hire a car you will need your full licence number NI number and postcode.

Extract from local newspaper...
What if I want to rent a car?

Car rental companies will be able to view your details on the electronic database

Employers who need to check an employee's driving record will also be able to use the service.

How does that work?

To allow other people access to your record, you will need to log on to the 'share driving licence online' service, with your full licence number, your National Insurance number and your postcode.

This will generate a single-use access code that you can give the car hire company or your employer. The car hire firm enters the check code, along with several of the letters and digits from your licence number, in order to view your whole licence.

The access code is valid for 72 hours, and you can only apply for five in any 72 hour period. If you're not online, you will be able to call the DVLA and give permission for your driving record to be checked verbally.

Yip - I did a 'dry run' on the DVLA site and it's easy (even for me!) - thanks for the reminder, it will be SO much better not having to lug the paper part

When I took a demo out from mercedes I did not take my licence as I don't use a wallet don't have cards just cash in back pocket ,they just phoned up and got me to talk to them job done easy

I regularly rent cars both here in the UK & abroad, I use Avis, & for the past couple of years they've not requested sight of the paper counterpart of my licence...:dk:

These changes are going to be a pain in the a as far as i can see. What was wrong with the paper counterpart, it was easy and convenient. Now i have to remember to log on to dvla to get a code just before i go on holiday, not that we have anything else to think about :wallbash:, and i need to remember to take a note of my NI number as well :doh:

Yip - I did a 'dry run' on the DVLA site and it's easy (even for me!) - thanks for the reminder, it will be SO much better not having to lug the paper part

What was difficult about 'lugging' the paper part?

You never had to lug the paper counter paper around anyway.

You never had to lug the paper counter paper around anyway.

I think you will find you should have, otherwise you would have been issued a HORTI in the event of a driving offence then would have to produce documents at your local police station within 7 days. Not always too convenient.
Always a chance you would take. Any car I have hired also they asked for the paper part too.....

In this country most ask for paper part (Hertz being my exception as I'm a registered Gold customer so all they do is glance at my Driving Card and chuck me the keys).

In other countries no-one cares.

The people this is going to hurt are those who need to rent at short notice out of hours, such as breakdowns etc.

I think you will find you should have, otherwise you would have been issued a HORTI in the event of a driving offence then would have to produce documents at your local police station within 7 days. Not always too convenient.
Always a chance you would take. Any car I have hired also they asked for the paper part too.....

Should, not being the same as must.

Hire car co. can phone the DVLA to confirm convictions.

Completely irrelevant after today but for the sake of clarity, when required to produce (show) your driving licence, Driving Licence legally means (if holder of the newer style licence and not paper only) Part 1 (plastic card) and Part 2 (paper counterpart). In other words, the licence was only a Licence in legal terms when both parts were presented and this is the case up to midnight tonight. Of course, what hire companies require is nothing to do with being legally required to produce a driving licence.

FFS. Boring the pants of myself now.:wallbash:

Should, not being the same as must.

Hire car co. can phone the DVLA to confirm convictions.

so, almost exacty the same as they will do with the new system.
Argument in an empty room FFS

If we're going to descend into pedantry , once again , IIRC , the 'producer' isn't a 'HORTI' but a 'HO RT1' : Home Office , Road Traffic , form 1 :)

you know those days when you wish you hadn't gotten involved in a thread?:crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy:

I was never asked about counterpart abroad and I never carried it with me anyway. In UK I joined loyalty schemes of most rental companies and they never asked me about counterpart after I registered my driving licence with them.

I don't expect to rent car in UK any time soon so not worried about changes. Idea of counterpart was strange to me anyway, as it's not used in continental Europe.

Perhaps there will be a universal chip and pin reader in the future? I have two different ones for banks already. Gas, electric, foreign currency could all use the same device, and your driving licence could have points downloaded, which could be read elsewhere etc.

If it's not in R&D at the moment, can I copyright this idea?!!

I am dead, a ghost, despite entering all my details correctly straight off the license card I don't show up and that's a pain as I have to change to a Spanish license this year as I don't have a UK address anymore, (but I did use the postcode on the license as instructed)..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom