Drop links c class w203 saloon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MSG2004

Car
GLE, AMG Line
Hello.
Recently my car started making a slight clonking, dull light sound when on uneven road at slow speeds. My freid say he has the same problem and resolved by repalcing drivers side drop link cant recall the cost.

I will take my car to a garage next week and my questions are as follows

Car feels safe and no noise on higher speeds or turning, so I'm guess its safe?

If it is the drop link - should i get both done?

I dont think i will, but would I need tracking checked after new drop links?

I looked at the car drop links today and have no way to raise car, could not get a good grip to move and see if faulty.

I've seen cheap drop links for 10 qud and up to 30 quid each.

I wont take to MB as not been there for years and I', 99% cert i will change car by xmas and it has done 54k and I've owned for almost 8 yrs

What will an indy charge and any good ones in/near Bexley?

Thanks!:thumb:

Hello.
Recently my car started making a slight clonking, dull light sound when on uneven road at slow speeds. My freid say he has the same problem and resolved by repalcing drivers side drop link cant recall the cost.

I will take my car to a garage next week and my questions are as follows

Car feels safe and no noise on higher speeds or turning, so I'm guess its safe? It depends on what the fault actually is. If it is worn links, it should be OK

If it is the drop link - should i get both done? Yes

I dont think i will, but would I need tracking checked after new drop links? No

I looked at the car drop links today and have no way to raise car, could not get a good grip to move and see if faulty.

I've seen cheap drop links for 10 qud and up to 30 quid each.

I wont take to MB as not been there for years and I', 99% cert i will change car by xmas and it has done 54k and I've owned for almost 8 yrs

What will an indy charge and any good ones in/near Bexley?

Thanks!:thumb:

had knocking on a b6 passat - replaced both drop links and it was fine afterwards - super cheap and easy enough to do (DIY) if you have a jack and socket socket set. I needed a blow torch to ease the ball joint off each side and no knocking - drop links were less than a tenner for the pair :)

Thanks C250TD

The symptoms point to drop links but I checked myself today when car went on ramp, ie had puncture, got it repaired and the chap that repaired the puncture knows my son, so how put it up on a ramp and had a good look at the drop links, no excess movement, no wearing of rubbers, no noise and he has a quick look at other front and rear suspension parts, all appears ok but noise is nor slightly more pronounced.

The noise is a typical symptom of drop link failure, ie low clunking at low speeds on a wavy road surface, no noise when turning steering, reversing or doing more than 20mph or braking.

Dont want to take to MB as not been there for a few yrs as car has been with me for 7:5yrs, 54k on the clock - I'm baffled. I checked the engine compartment, nothing loose.

Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

The W203 will wear out drop links change them and all will be ok

OK, cheers.
I will sleep on it and guess its worth try for the 130 quid for the pair - but one question pls, why no signs of worn rubbers, noise on movivng them?
car is 2007 50 odd k on clock and I've owned over 7 yrs - 4 door c180 auto
thanks

You should also check bushes on lower and upper arms, these are under a lot of stress on these cars and not too expensive to replace. Choose Lemforder as these are OEM.

OK, cheers.
I will sleep on it and guess its worth try for the 130 quid for the pair - but one question pls, why no signs of worn rubbers, noise on movivng them?
car is 2007 50 odd k on clock and I've owned over 7 yrs - 4 door c180 auto
thanks

£130 for drop link repair !
you are paying to much :crazy:

Thank you all.
About the 130, it inc's the VAT. I cant see anyone doing it for less - drop links cheap as 10 quid a pair from eurocarparts but i will go for ones a bit more expensive even though I am 99% to sell this car by Xmas
Thanks

Update

As usal, I pick up car problems too early.
The links became a bit more noisey .
Got both repaled while i waited about week ago - all in for the pair, 136 at Halfords. Car drives like new as not a hint of a rattle.

Btw, ordered new car, gle, del in April, will then sell after that

they took the car on to the ramp in about 5 mins - got the pats in about 30 mins, i was out of there in about 60 mins

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom