Drove in Eco for first time and saw this!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jay2512

Car
X253 - GLC 250d AMG Line Premium Plus
On a 250 mile trip to Cornwall today in prep of getting a remap, I decided to use Eco mode on the dynamic select. First time I've used it in the 700 miles on the car and was surprised to see the car start gliding when lifting off the throttle when trundling along the M5.

Anyone else seen this? The S205 never did it.

Attachments

• image-1467833490.jpg
    image-1467833490.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 253
Fancy stuff Jay. Did it feel as if coasting out of gear? If so was it smooth on power on?

Have you looked it up?

Ant.

It pretty much goes in to neutral and coasts along, the transition to coast & drive is silky smooth. The only reason I noticed was the Rev counter going up and down.

The S205 I had never did this, is this a new feature of the 9G box?

Same in the C63S, although on mine a sailing ship comes up in the top left corner.

Gear in and out whilst gliding is really smooth, and bizarrely the car feels like it'll roll and roll.

Steve

Sorry for OT Jay but how's Your wife's A45?

Ant :D

Does it on the W205 too.

Though it doesn't work on Distronic Plus cruise, and gets a bit confused when snapping out of Distronic Plus after dabbing the brake - the cruise in neutral doesn't work until you hit the accelerate then the brake then the accelerator again and lift off gas

Sorry for OT Jay but how's Your wife's A45?

Ant :D

Fast, very fast indeed. However need to get to those magic 1000 miles to really push it.

The exhaust spit on upshift sounds sweet!

Last edited:
Does it on the W205 too.

Though it doesn't work on Distronic Plus cruise, and gets a bit confused when snapping out of Distronic Plus after dabbing the brake - the cruise in neutral doesn't work until you hit the accelerate then the brake then the accelerator again and lift off gas

Very strange, the glide mode on the GLC will come on even at 30mph, as soon as you lift off the throttle fully for a second or so it starts to coast.

On a steep hill it will re-engage the engine to stop itself rolling away.

You'll also notice that the gear selection indicator changes to green (as per your image) when you are "gliding", which is useful when you don't have the trip screen up to give you that message.

Sorry chaps - non MB but my Volvo xc60 has this feature as well. Really does improve economy though.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Economy wasn't bad with yesterdays 250 mile run. With motorway, stop start traffic and a mix of A & B roads the GLC managed 45mpg.

uumode said:
Does it on the W205 too.

Done close to 6000 miles in my W205 and I haven't spotted this. While not all of the 6000 miles have been in Eco mode I'm sure a lot have but is it key that the car is in Eco mode for the Glide to become operative?

Done close to 6000 miles in my W205 and I haven't spotted this. While not all of the 6000 miles have been in Eco mode I'm sure a lot have but is it key that the car is in Eco mode for the Glide to become operative?

yeap.

Sorry chaps - non MB but my Volvo xc60 has this feature as well. Really does improve economy though.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

My wife's VW Tiguan has coast mode - it's off by default, and is enabled through the multi-function display.

Never tried it, but comments on the owners forums say it doesn't make any noticeable difference to MPG. One thing that occurs to me is the engine would need fuel to keep it at idle whereas on normal over-run, fuel is shut off completely.

I guess there's then a balance between how much of a slowing effect the engine has vs fuel used to keep it at idle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom