Drove up the famous California Highway 1

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

golden1245

Car
1999 C230K Sport
8163139775_a197d8738a_h.jpg

8163151375_8c88eb6211_h.jpg

Enjoy :)

I've done that drive a couple of times. Superb. Would have been better in an MB than the two Yank tanks I was in.

We drove the Pacific coast road from Astoria to San Francisco back in 2007. Still reckon it's the holiday we have to beat..

Cheers,

Gaz

Cool wide field pictures, how did you do that?

It's a beautiful drive isn't it. I've done it a few times as well. My late sister and her husband had a weekend house in Carmel. (Another fabulous place, with some great restaurants, bit expensive though).

I did this as part of my honeymoon back in 2004. Santa Monica to San Fransisco stopping off in Cambria on the way. Will never forget it - truly beautiful.

My one stand out recommendation is to visit Hurst Castle to see what real money is.

My one stand out recommendation is to visit Hurst Castle to see what real money is.
Or even Hearst Castle :p.

Seriously, I agree with that. You should also check out some of the smaller places en route - Morro Bay on the coastal section from San Luis Obispo has some great seafood restaurants and cheap places to stay.

*** said:
Looking at the distortion in them it will NE a series of vertical plane images stitched together.

Yes, wondered if it might be the new iPhone trickery but the image quality / depth of field suggests a better camera?

I too did that road a few years ago, San Francisco to Santa Monica, with a stop at San Simeon for a couple of nights to see Hearst Castle.
Venture into the hills for some wonderful views in that area.
I really liked San Francisco, hated Los Angeles (mainly because I always seemed to get lost), Santa Monica was OK.

Terry

That looks great. Might need to plan a trip to SF and go for a trip.

Drove from napa valley down to LA in June, saw the signs for Hearst castle, thought to myself, "must be some little shed here in the middle of nowhere..." And carried on to LA. Of course, once I got back everyone told me how wonderful it was... Next time I'm in LA I think I'll have to go especially for it!

thanks for all the responses guys. You won't believe it, but this was done with just an Iphone 4S with ios6's Panorama feature. It's amazing what that little phone can do isn't it?

The colors were very bland straight out of the phone so I had to tweak them a bit, but as far as stitching the photos perfectly in one fell swoop, it's all Iphone. All I had to do was pan the phone slowly in a relatively straight line and the phone did the rest.

I think a Japan Red E36 M3 coupe would have been the perfect accessory for a picture like this but it was still a blast driving up this road in my C230 with the renewed suspension. It was pretty sharp and actually quite flat in the corners.

I saw a similar place in England on Top Gear when they tested the CLK Black series, the Isle of Mann? That also seems like a ridiculously fun road to drive.

I saw a similar place in England on Top Gear when they tested the CLK Black series, the Isle of Mann? That also seems like a ridiculously fun road to drive.

Especially since the roads on the Isle of Man (outside the towns) have no speed limit.

BigSilverEstate said:
Yes, wondered if it might be the new iPhone trickery but the image quality / depth of field suggests a better camera?

Oh aye a decent camera will have been used but it's been stitched in something.

Drove from napa valley down to LA in June, saw the signs for Hearst castle, thought to myself, "must be some little shed here in the middle of nowhere..." And carried on to LA. Of course, once I got back everyone told me how wonderful it was... Next time I'm in LA I think I'll have to go especially for it!

Without wishing to hijack OP thread, a couple of shots of Hearst Castle at San Simeon. Outdoor and indoor pools, the gold in the tiles, including those in the pool, is actually real gold.

hearstcastle1_zpsf5142863.jpg

hearstcastle2_zps3ffed355.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom