Dunlop SP Maxx noise rating

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BernardB

Car
Mercedes CL600
Hello all. I am contemplating new tyres for my newly-acquired W215 CL600. As a rule I drive pretty sedately so my only prime requirement is as low a noise level as possible. The Dunlop SP Maxx tyres have the lowest decibel rating of any brands I have seen. Do you think that's a reasonable guide or is it just a load of EU b*ll*cks?

I have read all the threads on tyres but really there are such contrasting opinions on every brand that there seems no such thing as consensus.

Hi Bernard - afraid I can't comment on the tyre decibel rating, but I'm intrigued to know if the CL600 you bought was the one at Sovereign. If so, you bought it about two days before I was going to look at it! If I recall that was a lovely car, but for some reason the previous owner had fitted Nankang tyres on it - is that the one ?

The EU tyre noise rating is an external noise level measurement so you can treat it as a guide, but different cars will have different frequency response spectrums so its possible that a tyre that has a lower noise rating may sound as loud or louder than another tyre when inside a particular car.

Be aware that due to the logarithmic scale, 1dB difference will be effectively undetectable, you will probably notice 2dB's difference and you will definitely notice 3dB's or more difference in the noise ratings.

Thanks for that Phil - v. helpful.

MPG - yes that's the car. The Nankangs I suspect were an economy measure. Nothing wrong with them as far as I can tell (so far!) but I think a Mercedes deserves better.

had the same tyre on our E class cabrio since new, covered just over 13k & i've just ordered 2 more for the rear (£160 each fitted, 255/35/r18/94y). recommendations on here for Michelin but the tyre mentioned isn't available on the size we need & quite a few reviews elsewhere mention noise (& poor wear) as a problem on the Pilot Sports which would fit ours.

i'm happy with the wear on the Dunlop as there will always be a compromise for low noise/soft compound. they've lasted a fair bit longer than the Pirelli's we had on the old CLK.

Generalising a bit here, but I went from tyres rated at 71dB to tyres rated at 69dB and the road noise reduction in the cabin was significant.

Abbie - sorry to have sort of hijacked your own thread. You posted your question about a quarter of an hour before I posted mine and I didn't notice it!

every 3db of noise rating on a tyre is a doubling either positively or negatively of the noise level that you will hear

I fitted Dunlop SP Maxx tyres to the rear of my car for the same reason of lowest db rating (wet weather braking scores highly also) and they made a very noticeable difference. I am looking forward to changing the front tyres asap!

Hope this helps.

Hi all, I've got sp max all round on my clk430.The rear ones 245/40/17 I found noticeably noisier than the michelins I had before.

I was thinking of putting these on an S320CDI.

Anyone else using these on an S class that can comment on them? I'm interested in low noise mostly, as wet grip and fuel economy look good.

I fitted Dunlop SP Maxx tyres to the rear of my car for the same reason of lowest db rating (wet weather braking scores highly also) and they made a very noticeable difference. I am looking forward to changing the front tyres asap!

Hope this helps.

Good to know. Which car did you fit them on?

I fitted them to my c class coupe. Tyre sizes are 245/40-17.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom