E-class 200d or 220d?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yp1388

Car
Mercedes C-class
Hello everyone and it's my first time on here. I am about to order a brand new E200d (SE) factory made for November, however the dealer has a brand new E220d (SE) available immediately at around the same price. As far as I can see on the mercedes website, these cars engines are identical in CO2 emissions, fuel consumption etc except for the power output. I do not really mind the power as long as I have the lowest CO2 and best fuel economy. Any suggestions to what I should buy?

Last edited:
If you go for the car at the dealers draw his attention to the Drivethedeal.com discounted prices. A basic E220d SE lists at £ 36,700 but the Drivethedeal price (from a MB main dealer) is only £ 29,700 - £ 7k saving.

The delivery of my E350e keeps going back - was going to be Sept and now Nov so the one at the dealers is a more reliable option !!

The government site classifies the E200d with 17" wheels as 102 g/km and £ 140 road tax. As you say, the E220d is exactly the same.

If you are adding options then I would go with the Driving Assistance if you will regularly be in heavy stop go traffic

Actually drivethedeal is where I have been offerred the E220d, so why would anyone buy the less powerful E200d if the E220d offers more power with the same co2 and fuel economy, a bit baffled??

Hey there,

I've had E220d's since they were launched and I've got to say I'm thrilled with them. The 9 speed auto is as smooth as James Bond in a cocktail bar and when in sport+ (rage mode) it's really responsive and more than powerful enough for my short motorway commute. On a 15 mile run my best mpg is 67.9 (and I was trying so hard to hit 70) but I guess I'm averaging low 60's most days in comfort mode. So I don't think that the mpg should be a factor in your choice.
That said, if you can afford it, I would definitely get the 12" screen and the command system. My first E220d was bog std and after a new BMW 5 series I was disappointed with the nav, the voice commands and all that gumpf, it just was nowhere near as good as the BMW's idrive.
The command system is way better than my 5 series and worth every penny. The premium package isn't cheap but boy it seriously delivers another level of luxury.

Actually drivethedeal is where I have been offerred the E220d, so why would anyone buy the less powerful E200d if the E220d offers more power with the same co2 and fuel economy, a bit baffled??

Probably because its in stock and profit to be made.

Thanks for the replies, I guess no one owns a E200d...

I had an E200d as a courtesy car whilst my E220d was in for service. I noticed the difference...less responsive...I'd go for the 220d without hesitation.

Hello everyone and it's my first time on here. I am about to order a brand new E200d (SE) factory made for November, however the dealer has a brand new E220d (SE) available immediately at around the same price. As far as I can see on the mercedes website, these cars engines are identical in CO2 emissions, fuel consumption etc except for the power output. I do not really mind the power as long as I have the lowest CO2 and best fuel economy. Any suggestions to what I should buy?

One reason the 220D might be lying around is that people are shifting away from Diesel to petrol vehicles , and this might be a cancelled order .

Presumably you're going to cover a high annual mileage ? Otherwise Diesel might not be the best option for you ?

The petrol/diesel debate will rage on for years and yes in time we'll start to see congestion zone charging for diesel cars but initially it seems the Euro 6 diesels will be treated the same as Euro 6 petrol's so depending on how long you plan to keep the diesel/petrol choice may not be that significant...

Could have a knock on at change time through reduced residual if further restrictions are imposed on diesel over and above similar petrol.

The real hard choice will be for folks like me buying a used W213 or similar in 3-5 years time and planning on keeping that for 5 years. A clear medium/long term road map from the Gov that all political parties committed to stick to would be nice but fat chance from the idiot MPs (of all parties) we have.

My impression of the 2.0 diesel is that its under powered. That was in a C Class.
I'd take the 220 engine every time of the two.

Thanks for the replies, I guess no one owns a E200d...

I've never seen one handed over at our dealership. The only benefit is the lower BIK rate for company car drivers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom