E Class 220 cdi common faults

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

markymark123

Car
clk
Hi all, I'm thinking of getting a e class around a 58 plate auto 220 cdi but will have to be one with high mileage 130k plus. Can anyone tell the common faults with theses cars please. Thanks Mark.

My brother just bought a 55 plate C220 CDI. Its the same engine but in the late E-Class models they had EVO upgrade from 150 bhp to 170 bhp.

You want to look out for power loss when driving it hard say around/above 4k rpm as this seems to be a common fault. The problem can be sorted by cheap fixes such as a split air pipe or intercooler etc or MAF sensor. Or it can be more expensive with inlet port shut off motors, turbo actuators or inlet vanes on the turbo or even the turbos.

Generally they are reliable engines and one would need to do the basic checks such as visible smoke/steam, mayo/foam - like build up around the oil cap (inside) and condition of coolant and they behavior of the engine at different loads etc + history of work done on the car also.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using MBClub UK

I would consider getting it inspected before you buy it. They do tend to suffer with suspension joints, bushes wearing out. The engines are great and very reliable. We look after on ewith 760,000 miles on it.

Front springs are known to break, and the water pumps which I think are plastic are a common fault. Neither are too expensive to do at an Indy.

They are good for big mileages.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom