E Class Cabriolet Rattling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrChumley

Car
E200 AMG Cabrio
I bought an E200 cabrio in September and I'm not at all happy. Depending on the weather and road conditions, various creaking and rattling noises come from different parts of the car, especially the back.

Here's a few examples E Class Cabriolet - YouTube

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks
Chumley

I'm so glad you've shared this on here. I have the exact same noise coming from mine too. I first heard it about one month after delivery. I think it has become more pronounced since and is irritating.
I also get an annoying rattle from the interior windscreen trim. If I push it in it stops. I was going to wait until my first service to get the few niggles sorted.

Does your roof complete its opening and closing cycle with a loud clunk?

Thanks for answering. I think the clunk is the locks on the rear panel engaging isn't it?

There is also a rattling windscreen issue in the C-Class coupe I think. Try doing a search in this forum, there have been some threads on this rattling issue definitely...

My e cab is the exact same :( infuriates me

The clunk when locking is ok as long as I know what it is. It's quite a satisfying clunk, like a decent cars door closing. Anyway, the rattling is definitely getting worse. I heard it when the roof was down and at first I thought it was the rear seatbelt rattling, but then hearing it when the roof was up confirmed it wasn't that.
A visit to the dealer is imminent!

Thanks again for the responses. It's disappointing to hear that other people have the same problem. I really expected better from a "premium" brand, especially when so many reviewers rave about the build quality.

The main source of rattles on mine was the dash pod... the bit over the top and the inner surround inside where the dials sit - dealer lined it with felt which stopped that.

Other one was the A pillar trim on the joint that meets with the dash top, that never got fixed by the dealer as there's nothing they could do about it after they'd "investigated" it, made an irritating creak all the time. I fixed it by quite literally stuffing two pence pieces in the gap then wedging them further down so they can't be seen - did this on the driver's side but not on the passenger side, the cabling for my blackvue cam is wedged down that side so prevents the rattle there. Sounds stupid but has fixed it and is now rattle free.

The only other option was for the dealer to take the whole dashboard and console apart to which I politely declined as I'd heard C-Coupe owners were having more issues after that.

I had from new a E250 coupe (2010) and was glad to be rid if it after a year as it went back and forth many times due to squeaks and rattles from the rear, at one point they took all the boot lining out and drove it around with a guy in the back which is when they found that one of the rear shocks was rattling inside!

It still squeaked a lot after that but it was definitely a Friday afternoon build!!

What years are yours mine seems ok

Mine's the facelift model, new in September last year.

sjmaxwell said:
one of the rear shocks was rattling inside!

I wouldn't be at all surprised if that was the problem - it sounds as if something's going to shear off at any moment.

I bought an E200 cabrio in September and I'm not at all happy. Depending on the weather and road conditions, various creaking and rattling noises come from different parts of the car, especially the back.

Here's a few examples E Class Cabriolet - YouTube

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks
Chumley
I bought an E250 cabriolet in June, I owned it for 5 weeks it was back in the dealership for 4 with exactly the same rattle. After 4 weeks they were unable to repair the car and it was rejected.
I bought an E350 cabriolet from a different dealer it arrived 7th September with 6 miles on the clock. It has exactly the same fault - a terrible rattle from the parcel shelf area. I tried to reject it 2 days later, both the dealership and MBUK refuse to take back the car. It would appear that I'm going to have to go to court to be granted my statutory rights. Beware.

I bought an E250 cabriolet in June, I owned it for 5 weeks it was back in the dealership for 4 with exactly the same rattle. After 4 weeks they were unable to repair the car and it was rejected.
I bought an E350 cabriolet from a different dealer it arrived 7th September with 6 miles on the clock. It has exactly the same fault - a terrible rattle from the parcel shelf area. I tried to reject it 2 days later, both the dealership and MBUK refuse to take back the car. It would appear that I'm going to have to go to court to be granted my statutory rights. Beware.

You did well to reject after 4 weeks. My dealer just kept insisting there was nothing wrong with it. In the end I went to the Financial Ombudsman who initially rejected my complaint but then changed his mind when the car had to go back for an engine management fault.

I've now got a BMW 428 convertible and I love it to bits :bannana:

Not sure whether the new Rights Act will help, but it might be worth you trying the Ombudsman before you go to court if the car's on finance.

I'm glad I never read this thread before! I got my e350 in August and no rattles anywhere thankfully!

any solution on this ? i have the exact same rattle and the dealer in my country can t fix it .....damn it driving me nuts
help plz

My 2008 clk cabriolet rattles and creaks too...I've given up worrying about it but it does detract from the car. I tend to use it as a high days and holidays car so roof is usually down...which means I can't hear the rattles and creaks as it goes over ever bump. But if it was a daily driver I'd be mighty annoyed by now.

I can't say I am bowled over by the build quality of Mercedes but I love the brand and could never entertain a BMW or Audi instead. I think I am a Mercedes lifer....stupid eh?

still looking for solutions....

none of my dealers solved the problem :(

My car has the same E350d Cabrio 2016 . If you push the nearside area of the rear deck skin with flat of your hand with roof closed , where the corner of the roof is you can generate the noise. But rear deck is a steel frame with outer skin so maybe tolerance issue with skin resonating against outer skin ... only present roof closed . Dealer has ordered new rear deck panel . Will update once fixed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom