E class estate advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smatt

MB Enthusiast
Car
2011 E350Cdi Estate Auto
I would like to buy a used E class 350cdi estate.
Now for the hard part. Whilst there are lots out there, there are not so many with 7 seats. I really want to get the 265bhp engine, plus as many extra options as poss.
I would like to know whether it is straightforward to retrofit the rear facing child seats?
If it is, would it be better to wait for a 'complete' 7 seater package, or would it be better to get a fully loaded 5 seater, then retrofit the rear facing seats?
Anyone know the list of parts required?
No matter what the interior colour, the rear seats only come in black.
Thanks for all advice

Wait for a 7-seater. There are a lot of parts involved — and you need to tell the DVLA and your insurance about the change to the number of legal seats etc, which will affect the resale value.

Do you need the 7 seats? I bought mine as a five seater as E220CDI 7-seater S211s seemed almost non-existent, and at the time my budget was right at the bottom end of the essential post-facelift cars. With three kids, I was disappointed not to have had what seemed like such a great option — but I would have used it maybe four or five times in the intervening two years, and the underfloor space has been much more beneficial.

Go onto the Mercedes used car site and select the advanced option. There are currently 12 E350cdi with 7 seat options.

I had the 7 seats in my previous S211. I used them occasionally but they are occasional seats rather than for regular use.

The kids are +11 now and too big for the seats hence we didn't look for this on our current S212

Wait for a 7-seater. There are a lot of parts involved — and you need to tell the DVLA and your insurance about the change to the number of legal seats etc, which will affect the resale value.

Do you need the 7 seats? I bought mine as a five seater as E220CDI 7-seater S211s seemed almost non-existent, and at the time my budget was right at the bottom end of the essential post-facelift cars. With three kids, I was disappointed not to have had what seemed like such a great option — but I would have used it maybe four or five times in the intervening two years, and the underfloor space has been much more beneficial.

Yes, I agree, it would not be essential all the time, but would be very handy.
Out of interest, what do you use the underfloor space for aside from spare?

Go onto the Mercedes used car site and select the advanced option. There are currently 12 E350cdi with 7 seat options.

I had the 7 seats in my previous S211. I used them occasionally but they are occasional seats rather than for regular use.

The kids are +11 now and too big for the seats hence we didn't look for this on our current S212

Yes, I have used the advanced search, but none were quite to the spec I was after. I need to weigh up how far I am willing to compromise...
The trouble is, we have just got a heavily loaded E cab, so I would like one similarly loaded!

Last edited:
Out of interest, what do you use the underfloor space for aside from spare?

It's huge. The front compartment on the S211 has a plastic tray which is great for muddy shoes after a walk. The rear compartment in mine has the space-saver spare, a child booster seat, an electric tyre compressor, a bulb kit, four ratchet straps, a tow rope and a set of jump leads.

When we go on holiday, the booster seat comes out and as much stuff as possible goes in. I can pack all sorts of toys, games, shoes and stuff in the car, shut the floor compartments then start again seemingly from scratch.

Looked at a 7 seater myself but decided it was just a gimmick and bought a regular 5 seater.

It would be cheaper to just Hire a People Carrier if and when the time is arises!

Think I have found a good one...
2011 265bhp, good spec, but its got 45k miles
-Is the mileage a problem?
-Please advise of any specifics I should be looking out for?
Thanks again!

Last edited:
how much to compromise?

S212 E350 cdi - with lots of options
biggrin.gif
Hi Bluegnome,
May I ask where you got yours from & how long it took to find?

I am wondering how much I need to compromise-
the one I found is not my preferred colour & I would prefer a low mileage model, but spec wise v good:

SPT Sport
489 AIRMATIC
197 Obsidian black metallic
231 Leather Sport Black
248 Integrated rear child seats
844 Rear facing child seats - leather.
275 Memory package front seats
840 Privacy glass
413 Panoramic glass sunroof

512 COMAND APS incl Navigation update
810 Harman Kardon® Logic 7® Surround-sound system.
863 TV tuner (digital and analogue reception)
864 Rear seat entertainment system
537 Digital radio DAB
218 Reversing camera

If it was perfect, I would keep it for upto 7-8yrs, so not sure whether to get this one or wait longer for a keeper...

cheers

Hi. I got mine from a BMW dealer. It took about 3months to find. It was 5months old and had 4k on the clock. The guy who had bought it was a long term BMW owner who tried a Merc and decided he didn't like it so traded it in for a new BMW.

The one you have found has a great spec, of course if it's at the right price!

Yours sounds like the perfect age/mileage!

Because of the changes MB has made, the newer models do not suit:
-The 350CDI is now bluetec which has a large fluid tank in the floor, so no room for 3rd row seats!
This means that (as far as I have learnt) the last 350CDIs with 7 seats will be 2012-13 with the BE engine, not BT and I think will all be the pre-facelift. The largest engined 7 seater thereafter will be the 250CDI, which is still blue efficiency.
Also with the Bluetec engine it is not possible to have airmatic or H/K speakers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom