E-Class Winter Prep

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex225

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLS63 AMG
Well since I had the day to myself I thought I'd get in there early with a winter prep and proper tidy up of my E-Class.

The car wasn't overly dirty as was cleaned last week anyway...

Prep1_zpshxg8vlv7.jpg

Prep2_zpsjmasisr0.jpg

Gave the car a covering of Valet Pro Citrus Pre-Wash and left to dwell for a few minutes while i filled the buckets.

Prep3_zpsbee9wmls.jpg

I was surprised how little fallout and tar there was on the car. I find it hard to imagine it's been detailed in it's 13 year/106k life but the only area which really dirtied the clay significantly were the lower sills.

Prep4_zpsplpusoa7.jpg

The car was then rinsed and dried off. I then polished using Menzerna Medium Cut Polish on a high cut pad via DA. Was recommended this stuff by a good friend of mine and can see why, very easy to use and leaves a great finish.

Prep5_zps5wwuqtjl.jpg

Actually forgot I had this, Chemical Guys Wet Mirror Finish so I thought I'd add this into this session. Very nice stuff to work with and left as you'd hope a lovely glossy finish.

Prep6_zpswz2b9qi6.jpg

For protection I opted for Britemax Extreme Elements sealant and then followed up with a coat of old faithful, Collinite 845. I'll apply a second coat when I next wash the car and that should protect it through the winter.

Here are the results.....

Prep7_zps2qshfhct.jpg

Prep8_zpslefmxsvk.jpg

Prep9_zpsrvfmzpqy.jpg

Prep10_zps2vhaf4ja.jpg

Prep11_zps3j4mkloy.jpg

Prep13_zpsdiwzljb9.jpg

Prep14_zpsxohgn5lq.jpg

That'll be the last big detail of the year for the E Class but I must admit it comes up brilliantly.

Growing old gracefully!

Thanks all, I'm still chuffed with this car just in terms of it's condition when I bought it let alone how well it cleans up.

Ironic that I called this a winter prep when I was outside in my shorts and t-shirt but that's not the point haha.

Looks ace Alex, i've yet to use my DA but can't see it happening until next year now as i'm moving house.

My W210 is prepped for winter. It's in the garage and staying there, mainly because I am waiting for a spinal op shortly and I can't get in it. Looking forward to being able to drive it again, probably in about 6 months.

Looks ace Alex, i've yet to use my DA but can't see it happening until next year now as i'm moving house.

Just do quick hand polish and wax to see it through. :thumb:

My W210 is prepped for winter. It's in the garage and staying there, mainly because I am waiting for a spinal op shortly and I can't get in it. Looking forward to being able to drive it again, probably in about 6 months.

At least you know it's all wrapped up in there and how awesome will it be to get back in it after the op.

All the best though chap. :thumb:

Thanks for that mate. Just be glad to get it done.

Looks very nice Alex. I too have a brilliant silver E class and I'm using Autoglym SRP polish with an acceptable result. Silver is such a neutral colour to get a great shine.

Any other polishes to get a better finish apart from the one you are using here?
I hand polish BTW, and don't trust myself to put a rotary or DA on the paintwork:devil:

Just do quick hand polish and wax to see it through. :thumb:

It had a full clay, polish and wax not so long ago, just itching to try the DA out but its not going to happen for atleast 2 months now.

Looks very nice Alex. I too have a brilliant silver E class and I'm using Autoglym SRP polish with an acceptable result. Silver is such a neutral colour to get a great shine.

Any other polishes to get a better finish apart from the one you are using here?
I hand polish BTW, and don't trust myself to put a rotary or DA on the paintwork:devil:

SRP is great stuff to use by hand, almost no abrasion but fillers so it leaves a lovely finish.

I was wary of using a DA as well so took some professional advise. Because of the way they oscillate heat build up is minimal, plus they have a clutch in them so if you press too hard it stops rotating. Almost fool proof, as I have proved. :thumb::thumb:

It had a full clay, polish and wax not so long ago, just itching to try the DA out but its not going to happen for atleast 2 months now.

At least the car is protected. I was mostly keen to get the paintwork sealed and waxed, one more coat probably at the weekend and it's done until next year.

I hope the op goes well Mike - I hope to see you driving your W210 again soon - it's looking superb and begging to be driven!

I hope the op goes well Mike - I hope to see you driving your W210 again soon - it's looking superb and begging to be driven!

Thanks Roger, at least I know what's wrong now. Hope yout beast is still running well.

Thanks Roger, at least I know what's wrong now. Hope yout beast is still running well.

That's great news Mike! The beast is going really well thanks - I gave it a bit of a polish recently too :D

We'll have to catch up when you're back on your feet for a drive and a catch-up :thumb:

2016-09-11%2013.58.47.jpg

Still jealous of that car. I've got spinal cysts with the op early October. Recovery time is 6 to 9 months so should be good for a summer drive and perhaps some meets.

Still jealous of that car. I've got spinal cysts with the op early October. Recovery time is 6 to 9 months so should be good for a summer drive and perhaps some meets.

Sounds like a plan! I look forward to seeing you once you're fighting fit again :thumb:

That photo came out well! The good news is the battery hasn't gone flat since - I think the issue was with the alarm siren.

Lovely car, and nice location too - isn't that the layby just above Cray reservoir (my home turf growing up)? There are a few nice pubs between yours and there, I seem to remember!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom