E class with 9G gearbox

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The XJ8 4.0 and 3.2 X308s both used XFs, so they've been leaning that way for a while.

My experience of the Jaguar auto box - ZF - albeit the six speed, is that it is considerably smoother than the 7g plus in my current E Class, which I find clunky in lower gear changes, despite the software update. There are other minor design faults with the 212, but overall it's the gearbox that mars my total enjoyment of the car.

Well I'm a little closer to ordering my car. Dealer still doesn't know when I can order it but I spoke to Mercedes UK technical dept today and they said the 9G is available for September on the E350. She couldn't tell me when I can order it though. How hard can it be to find it out.

I asked when I ordered mine at the beginning of June, again, they didn't know when it would be available, but also felt that it would be an optional upgrade on the 7 speed and not a direct replacement.

cheers, Steve

9G standard on facelift CLS 350 BLUE TEC.

My ML has a 7spd. It does my head in with all the gear changing it does.

..................Going past 9 ? Then a CVT is one way. I like CVTs. Journalists generally don't. Manufacturers generally put them in dull cars. A lightweight RWD sportscar with a CVT is IMO an ideal package. But the media and market would kill it with a mixture of ignorance and prejudice that undermined its credibility.
I had a CVT in my 2002 A6 V6 and absolutely loved it. By far and away the best auto box I've ever driven and the long term reliability is nowhere near the problem that some people whine about.

Sadly, it looks like even Audi are moving away, to the more complicated twin clutch DSG box. We've had three of them in the family (still one on the wife's car). They are not as good as the Audi Multitronic unless you want to pretend you are Lewis Hamilton with the flappy paddles and in the US you get a lifetime warranty. Yes, they've been very problematic, including some hassles in and outside warranty on one of my cars.

As for the Merc 7G, it's kinda good, but doesn't hold a candle to Multitronic or DSG. Mine sometimes feels lumpy at slow speed as others have commented.

Will you get a 9G? Well, it was only ever slated for 350 in the E-Class and should have been here by now. If they are rolling it out in the new C Class then your guess is as good as mine. But until it's in the brochure, I'd expect to get seven cogs and anything else will be a pleasant surprise. One the car is ordered you can ask for the configuration list. Each box has a different code, so at least you can be disappointed in advance rather than on the day.

This week is my first long term use of the DSG box and I must say I just have not thought about it, with the CLS and especially the ML I was always aware of the gearbox changing and even if it was holding a gear slightly too long, with this DSG I can honestly say it has not even crossed my mind, it seems to just get on with the job without the slightest murmur.

I would have to agree that the 7 speed box on my eclass is not as smooth as I expected it to be. It holds gears too long and is lumpy at times. The box on the 5 series was miles smoother

I have the 7spd with a 350 BlueTec. I find it really smooth and works brilliantly with the stop/start function. The only jerk is from 5th down to 4th when the g/box is cold so soon disappears. I don't have any experience of other autos to compare it with though.

9G gearbox

Well after months of waiting I've finally ordered my new E350 AMG estate. Delivery is beginning of November. In the end i got a huge discount of nearly £8500.
The only extras I'm having are the privacy glass, Full LED headlights and leather seats although I'm undecided whether to have the crystal grey or porcelain.

Well after months of waiting I've finally ordered my new E350 AMG estate. Delivery is beginning of November. In the end i got a huge discount of nearly £8500.
The only extras I'm having are the privacy glass, Full LED headlights and leather seats although I'm undecided whether to have the crystal grey or porcelain.

Wow, what's that as a percentage?

I had the 8 speed ZF on a BMW 316i rental in South Africa and wasn't overly impressed - shifts were quick and smooth but a lot of the time it seemed to block change, which while intelligent rather defeated the point of the extra gears. I guess they would have told on 0-60 sprints though. Equally, 8th didn't seem very high - I think 80 saw about 2500rpm, although I guess on the 16i anything more may have seen it lose the battle against drag.

Last edited:

Good choice, what exterior colour are you choosing? If you go for porcelain consider the ash black inserts as personally I don't think the standard aluminium works with porcelain or silk beige. Have you seen a porcelain in the flesh? Personally, I think it's an individual choice whether you like the contrast and compartmentalisation with the black carpets and headlining.

cheers, Steve

It's Obsidian Black. Yes I see what you mean. The main thing that puts me off the porcelain is that it stains easy. Especially with jeans.

I agree with stevehg. I've got Porcelain leather with black ash but with light grey carpets and mats. It looks super, no problems with the carpets because I invested in the excellent quality MB rubber mats and boot liner (estate).

Almost a year in the leather is like new and to be honest, anything other than black is going to show marks sooner or later. I only ended up with leather because I ordered the dynamic and massage seats - on the standard 350 I could have black fake leather or black fake leather on the standard seats. You also get grey headlining which makes the car much lighter inside.

Let me know if you want some photos.

p.s. 9G box is now in the mix for UK cars with the Sept 2014 minor updates. You might get lucky.

protect your light leather interior with GTehcniq L1 .. after it's applied, all you need to do is wipe ocassionally with plain baby wipes.

I agree with stevehg. I've got Porcelain leather with black ash but with light grey carpets and mats. It looks super, no problems with the carpets because I invested in the excellent quality MB rubber mats and boot liner (estate).

Almost a year in the leather is like new and to be honest, anything other than black is going to show marks sooner or later. I only ended up with leather because I ordered the dynamic and massage seats - on the standard 350 I could have black fake leather or black fake leather on the standard seats. You also get grey headlining which makes the car much lighter inside.

Let me know if you want some photos.

p.s. 9G box is now in the mix for UK cars with the Sept 2014 minor updates. You might get lucky.

Thanks for that. Pictures would be great.
Mine will definitely be the 9G as it's on my order.

The dealer gave me Starguard in the deal so I'm hoping this will help. Not sure if it's any good though.

9G standard on facelift CLS 350 BLUE TEC.

Mine is coming last week of October and looking forward to the additional economy offered. It really does seem to make a difference which may be 18% so I'm told ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom