E200 W124 heating up slowly?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marcintosh

Car
E200 W124
E200 W124 '94 - have had it for a few weeks. No major problems just seems to be heating up very slowly. It is a 20-minute drive to work, mainly in very slow traffic or stationary. I would expect it to reach 80-something in around 10 minutes but it barely reaches 70-ties when I get to work.

Thermostat???

I can see from the bills the cooling system was flushed last year and coolant was replaced. Possibly a wrong thermostat was fitted as well?

<Marcin>

Thermostat definitely if your temperature gauge is correct does your heater give out heat??- is the thermostat there at all?? TEMP GAUGE STARTS TO REGISTER IN MY 220 AFTER A COUPLE OF MILES/ 5 MINS. thermostat about £22 from MB you get the metal housing/thermostat combined unit plus o-ring. My w124 e220 part no was A 111 200 09 15

Air temperature from the blower seems to be adequate to what the gauge shows.
I will pay my local MB dealer a visit this lunchtime :)
Thanks!

Feel the top hose after 2 miles of driving, the temp gauge may still be showing <60 degrees.
If the top hose is warm then the thermostat has opened too soon.

Agree, sounds like thermostat stuck open or even missing. Easily checked by feeling the hoses, as suggested. And cheap and simple to fix :)

(Unless you shear off one of the studs holding the thermostat cover on - been there, done that!)

I also noticed that the fuel consumption is somewhat higher than it should be for such a small engine. 28 mpg on the motorway and 20 in town (10 l/100km and 14l/100km in Euros).
Faulty thermostat would most likely be the part of the problem, if the engine is constantly underheated?

Last edited:
Yes, cool running would affect fuel consumption.

I pulled over after a mile and the top hose was pleasently warm :D

I ordered a new thermostat from the dealers.

Thanks Guys!

Installed the new termostat. What was supposed to be 1 hour job, took me half a day. Some idiot used half a kilo of thread lock paste or some glue to fit the thermostat. Not only on the bolts but on the alloy casing and the seal as well! I broke 2 out of 3 bolts trying to undo them. After removing what was left of them I had to scrape this stuff off before fitting the part.

The old thermostat appeared to be ok. I even boiled it to see if it opens and it did. I then took a closer look and noticed that there is in fact a 1 mm gap in it. It doesn't fully close.

I didn't expect it to have so much an effect but I took it for a spin this morning and boy, this is so much better! The temperature goes up quickly and in inder 10 minutes it reaches 80-something and stays there all the time. :bannana:

heh, and just think what that would have cost at a stealer :)

This 1 mm gap did not seem like it could cause all these problems. When I pulled it open by hand the pin popped out of it's hole and got stuck. It could be that when the temperature got really high, the thermostat fully opened and the pin got stuck.
I had to use a rubber mallet to remove the old thermostat. I had to smack it real good several times, as it was well stuck in. It is possible that the pin then popped back into place. This could be why the thermostat appeared to be ok when I finally removed it.

What does it tell me?
Use a mallet first, then go and order new parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom