E220 0r E320

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davidscott245

Car
citreon c5
Looking to buy circa 2008 Merc e220 or e320 . Advise required as to fuel consumption on both models and engines on both. Thsnks in advance dave

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Have a 2008 E320cdi, get 45+ mpg on motorway 42/3 mpg cross country and 30/32 around town, bit lower in winter. Great engine , very smooth, love the power for overtaking Only problem has been small oil leak from turbo ( I think that is what the garage said ) pools at top of engine, sorted by new seal, not expensive. Not had a problem with swirl flap motors unlike other reports, but this is not a major expense to fix if it happens. Servicing at dealers not too expensive, switched to MB Indi last time A service cost £250. Only unexpected repair was broken front coil Spring , quite common on many models these days with all the speed humps. I missed one at 35 mph and Spring failed 300 MPs later. IMO the 320 is the one to go for, even if older, was not over impressed with a more modern 220 that I drove.

Have a 2008 E320cdi, get 45+ mpg on motorway 42/3 mpg cross country and 30/32 around town, bit lower in winter. Great engine , very smooth, love the power for overtaking Only problem has been small oil leak from turbo ( I think that is what the garage said ) pools at top of engine, sorted by new seal, not expensive. Not had a problem with swirl flap motors unlike other reports, but this is not a major expense to fix if it happens. Servicing at dealers not too expensive, switched to MB Indi last time A service cost £250. Only unexpected repair was broken front coil Spring , quite common on many models these days with all the speed humps. I missed one at 35 mph and Spring failed 300 MPs later. IMO the 320 is the one to go for, even if older, was not over impressed with a more modern 220 that I drove.
Thanks that's a good fuel return thinking in that direction to be honest just looking for a few reviews cheers and thanks

Really depends on what type of driving you do?

Really depends on what type of driving you do?
Gonna put in on the taxis ( private - hire ) fuel is important but comfort and ride more important. I was just wondering on fuel returns arc on both models thanks dave

E220 would be a better option IMO

I've got an E320 CDI over 18,000 miles its averaged 34MPG.

Caveats
My daily commute is 20 miles each way M42/M6/Aston Expressway. in the morning reasonably free, afternoons can be very slow.

I tow a caravan, 1500Kg on the back doesn't do the economy much good!

If I don't tow I think that 34mpg average would be 36/37mpg

40mpg on a run is reasonable.

Put foot down, mountain of torque, nice sound, goes well...

Gonna put in on the taxis ( private - hire ) fuel is important but comfort and ride more important. I was just wondering on fuel returns arc on both models thanks dave

In that case I would go for the 220, you will find the 320 quite a bit heavier on fuel if you are tootling around town and fuel will be a big element of your cost.

I used the 220 for 15 years of chauffeuring with no significant issues with 3 different cars and averaged around 50 mpg over 1.2 million miles. It has enough performance for the job required even with 4 passengers plus luggage, is quiet at cruising speed, and the 220 engine with 5g box is bombproof.

I still have my last E220 although now retired, still running well at 295k miles.

In that case I would go for the 220, you will find the 320 quite a bit heavier on fuel if you are tootling around town and fuel will be a big element of your cost.

I used the 220 for 15 years of chauffeuring with no significant issues with 3 different cars and averaged around 50 mpg over 1.2 million miles. It has enough performance for the job required even with 4 passengers plus luggage, is quiet at cruising speed, and the 220 engine with 5g box is bombproof.

I still have my last E220 although now retired, still running well at 295k miles.
Thanks that the type of history and info required I'll start looking for a nice lowish mileage 220 thanks dave

The Heathrow car park test....

Take a look at the cars passing through the Heathrow or European City airport car parks, and I suggest the E220 outnumbers the E320 by a country mile. It does seem to be the classic carriage trade vehicle.

OK - Heathrow's a bit upmarket, and is probably more about distance than stop-start central city work, but the point remains.

I'd argue that a 320 is more a private buyers favourite. The 220 is for someone expecting to do high mileage at minimal cost.

The 220 is a favourite in the carriage/taxi trade so check the history carefully.
Will do probably looking at max of 70000 miles or lower if budget allows. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom